Issue with Master Password in 1Password 7 for Windows

steve12
steve12
Community Member
edited May 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I need some clarification and assistance.

My father is using 1Password 7 for Windows v7.4.767. He also has access to a MacBook running the 1Password for Mac v7.5 (70500002) desktop app.

He uses the 1Password X (1PX) extension in the Chrome, Firefox and Microsoft Edge browsers. The three 1Password X extensions are all using v1.19.0.

About 3-weeks ago, he changed his master password in the 1Password 7 for Windows desktop app without any issues.

When he logs into 1PX on either Chrome, Firefox or Edge, he uses his new master password. He also uses the new master password to log into 1Password.com or the 1Password 7 for Mac desktop app. This is exactly what he expected after changing the master password.

Today he attempted to open the 1Password 7 for Windows desktop app using his new password, but it failed. He does not use the desktop app often and thinks this was the first time he tried to open 1Password 7 for Windows since changing his master password. After repeated failed attempts, and out of frustration (he knew he was using the correct master password) he tried his old master password and successfully logged into the 1Password 7 for Windows desktop app.

To recap, he now use the new master password to log into (1) 1Password.com (2) the 1Password 7 for Mac desktop app (3) 1Password X Chrome browser (4) 1Password X FireFox browser and (5) 1Password X Microsoft Edge browser. But, he must use his old password to log into the 1Password 7 for Windows desktop app.

I would welcome any insight on what may have gone wrong when he changed his master password in the desktop app of 1Password 7 for Windows for it to retain the old master password but change the master password for five other app/extensions described above, as well as solution to insure he has a single 1Password master password regardless of the app/extension he's using.

Thank you.

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 1.19.0
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Nothing actually went wrong here, @steve12, he just needs to complete the Master Password update in the app after changing it for the desktop app:

1. Unlock with old Master Password.
    2. Click the red banner that pops up.
    3. Enter new Master Password in the sign-in form.

The reason for this is that 1Password X connects directly to your 1Password account so it's able to talk to the server whenever it likes and realize that the Master Password has changed. 1Password for Mac is also able to reach out to the server and check a new Master Password against the server's encryption key prior to unlocking so that it appears as though it synced. On Windows, however, sync can't happen until you unlock, so you need to use your old Master Password once to unlock. You can then enter the new Master Password to update the app's Master Password and re-enable sync along the way.

This is all the result of the fact that we don't actually sync your Master Password. We sync a key derived from your Master Password (and Secret Key) and detect whether your Master Password is correct or not solely based upon whether it successfully decrypts the data you have. Since your dad's Windows app still had data encrypted with the old Master Password (it hadn't synced), the new Master Password wasn't able to unlock it. Or, at least, that's the simplified version. You can find a deeper technical dive in this blog post, if you're interested. While this post was written about far older versions of 1Password using data synced via iCloud or Dropbox rather than our sync service, the principles remain largely the same so it can give you a good overview of what that process looks like under the hood, even today. :chuffed:

• steve12
    steve12
    Community Member

Thank you for the clarification.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of bundtkate, you are welcome @steve12! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• LeoDias
    LeoDias
    Community Member

I have this exact same problem, but I do not see the red banner. Is there another way to update the Windows master password?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@LeoDias:

What version of the 1Password for Windows app are you using?

• LeoDias
    LeoDias
    Community Member

@ag_ana: 7.4.767

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@LeoDias:

Thank you for the confirmation. Do you perhaps have local standalone vaults in the 1Password app?

• LeoDias
    LeoDias
    Community Member

@ag_ana: Thanks, sorry, not sure what you mean. The vaults are synchronized across my devices (browser plugins, mobile, Windows app).

• LeoDias
    LeoDias
    Community Member

Oh, and I only have a single vault.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@LeoDias:

We can help you check that. I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your PC and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at how your 1Password app is configured.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• LeoDias
    LeoDias
    Community Member

Sent - thank you!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@LeoDias:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: So we don't duplicate the answers by replying to you in multiple places, someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: NTB-86654-757

• LeoDias
    LeoDias
    Community Member

Thanks, Ana!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome :+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.