Can you move the Password Generator outside of the Chrome extension login?

I often use the Password Generator feature in the Chrome extension for work related systems, but I have to be logged-in to use it. I know this would change the look of the extension login page drastically, but it would really be helpful to not have to login each time I need a new password. Just a thought.

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: 1.19.0
OS Version: macOS 10.15.4
Sync Type: 1Password
Referrer: forum-search:password generator

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bamoroso!

I think the problem here is that 1Password would not be able to save this generated password if the extension is locked when you use it. So you would only be able to generate a new password, but you would lose it as soon as the browser extension closes again. I personally think that it would be quite risky if we built this feature.

• bamoroso
    bamoroso
    Community Member

Yeah, that makes sense. But, since I use it for other work systems - where I'm NOT saving the password in 1Password, that would be ok. Of course, the Password Generator would still be accessible after logging-in, too, so that it could be saved. I just find it really useful to, well... generate passwords and, of course, every time I need a new one, I have to login. A small, first-world problem.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@bamoroso:

I see what you mean. I am not aware of plans to implement this at the moment, but we can certainly keep your feedback in mind :)

• gadget78
    gadget78
    Community Member

@bamoroso you could use the generator on the 1password website if its for use in other situations ?
    https://1password.com/password-generator/

as ag_ana says for most people generating a pass on the 1pass extension its best to keep a record of them just in case it is used, which is likely as thats the reason its been generated !
    and that record needs to be kept safe !! .... so being logged out wouldn't be safe way to generate possible used passwords ...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the suggestion @gadget78 :+1: :)

• bamoroso
    bamoroso
    Community Member

Yes, thank you @gadget78 ! I did not know that existed.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.