Security-issue on Clipboard clearing ?

Hi, I think I have a nice security-issue. On clearing clipboard-content after the time setup in the settings. It's a bit complicated but let me explain.

At the first glance, it works perfect :
1. You copy a password from 1Password
2. you used it on the website/application/....
3. After the defined time, it disappaers from the clipboard

So far so good.

But : I have the tool "Ditto" installed on my PC (https://sourceforge.net/projects/ditto-cp/)

When that one is active, the copied-password from 1Password does not disappears from the clipboard-history kept by Ditto.

I hear you saying : this is not a problem from 1Password, but a problem on Ditto. This looks a true statement, but :

My laptop is from my company. And I'm forced (unforntunately :'( ) to also use the passsword-manager forced by my company : KeePass

And, when using Keepass, the copied-password is not even inserted in the clipboard-history of Ditto !

So something is different between 1Password and KeePass in the way they handle the clipboard. It would be nice to have this solved

Thanks a lot,

Eddy

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: WIN10 1909
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:clipboard

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @eocula!

I suggest checking if Ditto has the option to blacklist certain apps: clipboard managers usually have a section in the preferences to ignore apps you choose, and not store anything when it's copied from inside one of these apps.

• eocula
    eocula
    Community Member

Good point. I had not checked whether this is possible. But indeed, I know excluded 1password.exe . And it works fine now! Many thanks!

• Glad that was able to help, @eocula! I suspect that KeePass was probably excluded already, perhaps out of the box by the company when your PC is issued. There is a method to exclude data from Windows' clipboard history and 1Password does that automatically, but rarely is there something that will allow that to work for all clipboard managers as they each generally do their own things.

Might be an interesting feature request for third-party clipboard managers, though. Now that there's a defined method by the operating system, it could potentially be an easy thing for other clipboard managers to adopt allowing any app that excludes itself from Windows' clipboard history to get exclusion from other clipboard managers for free.

• eocula
    eocula
    Community Member

OK, Strange is that in the Ditto-setup, I did not saw an entry for KeePass in the "excluded" area. Anyway, thanks again for your help

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @eocula! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.