To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Steps needed to to downgrade from my 1password family membership to a new perpetual licensed.

Options
lynnejohn_2
lynnejohn_2
Community Member

I currently have a family account and would like to move to the perpetual licensed version where I store the file on Dropbox(like I used to do.) I know I will need to export my current family account vault, and then remove/install the appropriate 1Password Windows/Mac program after downloading from your website. Just want to make sure I don't mess this up so what is the proper way to do this? Export the vault, uninstall 1Password and then install the new perpetual version?

Thanks in advance...

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:account to perpetual license

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @lynnejohn_2

Membership is the way forward, so I'd strongly encourage you to consider sticking with 1Password Families or moving to an individual membership. We no longer advertise licenses, and haven't for years. We'd be happy to help with any issues you're having.

That said, if you've made up your mind, what you're looking for can be found here:

How to move your data to a standalone vault to use 1Password without an account

Ben

• lynnejohn_2
    lynnejohn_2
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

I appreciate the information. I've read many threads on this subject and would simply say I understand your companies decision. I would also say that if 1Password stops using licenses, I think you are leaving money on the table. Microsoft office and game console manufacturers still have/use perpetual licenses. In Microsoft's case they simply charge more for that type of license. I've been with you guys since the beginning and as long as you leave me the perpetual license option I will keep upgrading your product every few years.

The only issue I've had with moving the data is with the Documents folder. In the link you provided it says "Document items cannot be copied to a standalone vault. To add them to the items they were previously attached to, download them from your old vault and add them as attachments to the items in your standalone vault." The only option I saw when logged into the account was to select all the items in the document folder and then export them(it ended up as a text file.) I tried importing them into my new vault but it is looking for a pif file or OP vault folder. I'm guessing exporting them is not correct?

Thanks,
    John

• Ben
    Options

John,

You'd need to download each Document item individually. If you're using the 1Password.com web app to do so then you'd click on Documents, click on one item in the list, and then click the "Click to Download" link, or the "Download" button (in the case of files that have previews):

Ben

• lynnejohn_2
    lynnejohn_2
    Community Member
    Options

Ben,

That worked like a champ. Thank you for all the help.

John

• Ben
    Options

You're very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.