Conditional password entries based on field value?

The AWS console is a weird one in that the legal usernames depend not on the URL but on the value of the <input name="account" type="text" value on the page (which they populate, not 1Password)

It would be such a monster UX improvement if the list of suggestions presented by 1Password X were conditional based on the value of that input field, so it doesn't show logins that could not possibly succeed

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Firefox 1Password X 1.19.1
OS Version: Ubuntu 20.04
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

I dig this idea, @mdaniel! As of right now, we don't actually store the values of fields. As I'm sure you can imagine, it'd be a security concern if we were to store it unencrypted, so it would take a decent amount of new technology being added to 1Password X. For now, I wonder if typing inside the field you're wanting filled will help narrow down the list of suggestions for you. If you begin to type your username inside a field, for example, the inline menu will narrow it's suggestions based on what you've typed.

• mdaniel
    mdaniel
    Community Member

As of right now, we don't actually store the values of fields.

That's only partially true; I have for sure seen 1P entries where it has an association of HTML form field values to the 1P entries; what I think is novel in this suggestion is the idea that 1P wouldn't be responsible for inputting the field values, but rather for using them in a fill decision

For now, I wonder if typing inside the field you're wanting filled will help narrow down the list of suggestions for you.

And that's what is happening now: I have the 1P Entry named in such a way that I can begin typing the account number to have it filter down to the one entry that is legal for that form field, but it is a very repetitive task that I do usually about 3 times a day, every day, making it a great job for a computer.

My suggestion is just that the URL is not unique enough to identify credentials, but if there was anything(!!) that allowed me to annotate the entries so 1P-X only showed the relevant one, I'd be glad to meet the extension half-way

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@mdaniel – That tactic is even better than what I originally thought. It's definitely something to continue thinking about as we make improvements to 1Password X down the road. Thanks for sharing your thoughts with me. ❤️

This discussion has been closed.