Can I go into settings/security and change my master pw without having access to my original pw?

jdavidm
jdavidm
Community Member

I have lost my master password but can still access my 1PW via facial recognition on my iPhone 11. Can I safely go into settings/security "change master password" and install a new PW without having my "old" pw???

1Password Version: 7.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 13.3.1
Sync Type: cloud
Referrer: forum-search:lost master password but have facial ID

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jdavidm! Welcome to the forum!

You cannot change the Master Password for your vault without knowing the existing one. If you still have access to your data with Face ID, you should either export your data so you can import it in a new vault, or create a second vault with a new Master Password, and move your existing items there.

If you are using iCloud as your sync method, this might be a bit challenging since you can only use a single vault if you sync via iCloud, so you might find it useful to use a 1Password membership account to transfer your data to.

• jdavidm
    jdavidm
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply. If I attempt to use what i'm guessing in my master password and I'm wrong, will I still be able to access 1PW using facial recognition? I'm concerned that if I start attempting passwords, I may lose my facial recognition access. Also, I don't have a problem establishing a 1PW account membership to transfer the data, but the instructions call for input of the master password. Again, my concern about loss of facial recognition.

• but the instructions call for input of the master password

This would be a new Master Password that you would create while setting up the membership account, not your existing Master Password. That would be the way I'd recommend moving forward: transfer everything into a new membership account with a Master Password that you can remember. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.