What to do if 1pw does not pop up?

Options

Hi folks,
1pw does not pop up (on my Macs) when I launch .htaccess protected pages, or -- eg -- a password protected PDF file on one of my web pages. Is there an option to enforce that?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:browser login

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @nilsus!

Are you able to share URLs for the pages where this happens, so we can test them? Feel free to email them to us at support+forum@agilebits.com if you prefer not to share them here on the forum.

• nilsus
    nilsus
    Community Member
    Options

Good morning (well, at least here in Germany it is morning :-),
    it is on ordinary .htaccess pop-ups like here: https://buddigthoma.com/jazz-club-trier.de/DB/app ...
    ... or a PDF password box like here: https://saxynils.de/X/LINX.pdf
    that seem to be left out by 1password.
    Have a good day, stay healthy, Nils

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nilsus:

Thank you for sharing the URLs? For confirmation, what version of the 1Password browser extension are you using, so we know what to use to test it here too?

• nilsus
    nilsus
    Community Member
    Options

Firefox add-on v1.20.0 (1Password X); on my desktop (Mac) it is 1Password 7 Version 7.5.1.BETA-0 (70501000) 1Password Beta

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for the additional info, @nilsus. The first site you mentioned, do you know if they're using HTTP Auth? That'll generally work with 1Password X, and I'm able to fill my credentials via the 1Password X pop-up in Chrome. That said, I'm having a hard time even accessing the 1Password X pop-up with the authentication prompt open on Firefox, so I haven't had any luck filling there.

The PDF password doesn't look like something that 1Password X would be able to fill, but I tried opening the 1Password X pop-up by clicking the 1Password icon in my browser toolbar, then clicked and dragged my password from there to the password field and that did the trick. Give that a try and let me know how it works for you.

Just to clarify, both of the sites you mentioned won't have the 1Password icon directly inside fields. I believe this is due to a restriction in the browser. However, clicking the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar, like I mentioned, should still show you relevant items to fill. The only problem I'm having with that is on the first site you mentioned, and the issue only exists in Firefox. I'll wait to hear back from you in regards to HTTP Auth before we continue troubleshooting.

• nilsus
    nilsus
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Kaitlyn, it is the same behaviour on my side, so I will use this work-around to have the PWX popup open while being asked for the credentials. Yes, the 1st one is HTTP Auth (.htaccess/.htpasswd).
    Have a good day, Nils

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@nilsus – Do you happen to know of another website that uses HTTP Auth? I'd like to test it out and see if there's some sort of issue occurring on our end, but I don't use any sites with HTTP Auth on a regular basis. I used to have a test site that worked perfectly for this, but that one was recently removed.

• mdaniel
    mdaniel
    Community Member
    Options

Do you happen to know of another website that uses HTTP Auth?

There is a site dedicated to forcing specific responses to HTTP requests, and basic auth is one of the supported endpoints

https://httpbin.org/basic-auth/admin/sekrit

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you, @mdaniel!

@nilsus – If you haven't already, try clicking the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar while visiting a different page (like www.google.com, for example) and searching for your .htaccess item, then you'll see a Go button. Clicking the Go button will open the HTTP Basic Auth page in a new tab and fill the credentials you have saved in 1Password automatically. Here's a video showing the process. Let me know how that goes!

This discussion has been closed.