Password unlocks 1Password on login to website but not to the app. What am I missing?

KennethR
KennethR
Community Member

Well I think it's quite self-explanatory. I manage to login to the website with a password that is rejected by the Mac app. Aren't those supposed to be Master Passwords and be the same?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @KennethR

Yes indeed, when things are configured and working correctly they should be the same. The most common cause of this problem is having not completed the migration process fully when moving from a standalone setup to a membership. This can result in the "Primary" vault being left in 1Password for Mac.

The way unlocking 1Password works is:

• If a Primary vault exists 1Password will always unlock using the Master Password for that vault. This supersedes all of the following rules.
    • If a single 1Password.com account is logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password for that account.
    • If multiple 1Password.com accounts are logged in then 1Password will unlock using the Master Password of the first account that was added.

Could you please check and see if you have a vault called Primary in 1Password for Mac? Thanks.

Ben

• KennethR
    KennethR
    Community Member

Yes I do have a Primary vault and everything stored is inside the vault.

It says on the start page: "Step Two - Secure
    Start saving your passwords in your Personal vault."

Also have problems with suggesting stored passwords both in apps and web logins. And Keychain always suggests a password which 1Password does not. Even though I turned off Keychain autofill.

• Thanks @KennethR. If you sign in at https://my.1password.com/ and click on the Personal vault do you also see all of your items there? Are there any that are in Primary that are not in Personal? If so please move those items over:

Move and copy items

Once complete please delete the Primary vault from 1Password for Mac using these instructions. After the Primary vault is deleted then you should see the same data in both the 1Password.com web app and in 1Password for Mac. Additionally both should unlock with the same Master Password.

Also have problems with suggesting stored passwords both in apps and web logins. And Keychain always suggests a password which 1Password does not. Even though I turned off Keychain autofill.

Have you turned off your web browser's built-in password management capabilities? If not please do so:

Turn off the built-in password manager in your browser

Let me know how it turns out.

Ben

• KennethR
    KennethR
    Community Member

I have only1 vault 'Personal' where all items are stored.

I tried ti disable all 4 autofill options in Safari to no avail. Now I van't retry because neither my app or Safari plug inwill open because of said problem with matching passwords between website vs local Mac. It seems like I am in a loop, of sorts.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@KennethR:

As my colleague Ben said, you need to remove the old Primary vault from your 1Password app if you want to unlock it with the same password you use on the website. It sounds like you chose two different passwords, so if you are not using the old Primary vault, as you said, you can remove it. After doing it, you will be able to unlock the 1Password app with the same password that you use on the website.

• KennethR
    KennethR
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

But like I said I have no Primary Vault, only Personal.

I have now deleted and reinstalled Mac app and have now access to app and web.

I still don't see any Primary Vault. It has never been here. The first thing I was presented with was the Personal and that I should place all items there. Is that incorrect?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@KennethR:

I still don't see any Primary Vault. It has never been here.

You wrote you had a Primary vault with everything in it earlier in the conversation:

Yes I do have a Primary vault and everything stored is inside the vault.

But I am glad we managed to get to the bottom of this :+1: And yes, you should store everything inside your Personal vault, that's the correct location.

This discussion has been closed.