1Password X makes selecting something from the browser's own autocomplete menu hard

Hi, 1Password X is mostly a welcome upgrade from the old browser extension! One rather annoying thing though is that the autofill menu takes over the browser's own autocomplete menu when pressing the down arrow key. This also happens if I disable "show autofill menu on field focus".

To reproduce: Start typing something:

Then press the down arrow key in order to try selecting a value from the browser's autocomplete menu:

Expected behaviour: The first element from the autocomplete menu is selected.

Actual behaviour: 1Password X shows up.

I can understand the usefulness of showing 1Password X when pressing "down arrow" in an empty field, since it's faster than pressing the key combo. But if you have already typed something, it would be best if 1Password X did not interfer.

On Firefox 72 with 1Password X 1.18.0

1Password Version: 7.4.2
Extension Version: 1.18.0
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hi @danmichaelo! 👋

Thanks for your feedback; we really appreciate it. I see what you're saying when it comes to using your browser's autofill to fill an email address. I'd personally suggest disabling your browser's autofill and allowing 1Password X to do the filling for you. When multiple password managers are wanting to fill, they tend to fight with one another for your attention. We've actually got a setting within 1Password X that disables your browser's autofill feature/password manager for you. The setting is called "Make 1Password the default password manager" on the 1Password X settings page.

1Password X has the ability to fill more than just Logins. When you need to fill your email, for example, you can select your Identity in the 1Password X inline menu. Here's an example of filling an Identity on GitHub's registration form:

Selecting any of my Identities will result in the email address inside the item being filled. Give it a try and let me know how it goes!

• swrobel
    swrobel
    Community Member

I keep seeing you guys give this formulaic response to the multiple requests for this functionality, and it's simply unacceptable. Just let us assign our own keyboard shortcuts! The down arrow should do what we want it to do - you guys don't own that key. We're the users, we should have control!

• Thanks @swrobel. We appreciate the perspective. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.