Reformat PC and cannot log back into 1PW

Options
rbharat
rbharat
Community Member
edited May 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Good afternoon. Today I decided to reformat my PC so I created a backup of 1PW. I put the backup on a USB drive assuming that I could re-download 1PW after the reformat is complete and use the backup. However, when I download 1PW it's telling me that I need to sign into 1PW.com. It has never told me that before. It has always just asked for my Master Password. I purchased 1PW in 2018 and I have the AgileBits Licenses email with my key. The email says 1PW 4. Is that the version I have to download and if so where do I download that?

I am not sure what to do here. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rbharat
    rbharat
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

I was able to get the back up loaded into 1PW7, but there is prompt saying:

1Password is read-only: Add a 1Password account or license to edit or save

When I click "license" it asks me to locate a license file on my PC. However, I don't have that. I only have the serial key that came with my purchase of the product in 2018. How can I use that key?

Thank you.

• rbharat
    rbharat
    Community Member
    Options

Alright, well, if anyone else comes across my thread here are the things I've learned.

If you have a license for 1PW 4/5/6, it will not work with 1PW7. You must get a new license.
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/90282/applying-my-license-to-1password-7

I just re-downloaded 1PW standalone version that I purchased in 2018 from here:
    https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/78664/where-can-i-download-1password-4-for-windows-i-have-a-standalone-license-i-wish-to-use

Hopefully I can hold onto that install.exe so I won't run into this issue in the future.

Good luck.

• I'm glad you found it, @rbharat, and my apologies for us not being here sooner to help. 🙏 For the future, we also have a link to 1Password 4 on our downloads page here:

https://1password.com/downloads/windows/#legacy-downloads

There also should be one in your original license email, if my memory is to be trusted. But, it's often not the most trustworthy thing so I could be wrong about that. All the same, worth a gander at the whole thing to see if it's there as that may be an easier thing to hold onto. 👍

• rbharat
    rbharat
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate

Yes, you're right. I do see the download link the email with my license for 1PW4. I should've paid more attention to the download page. I didn't realize I would need a separate license key for 1PW7. Maybe I'll get that in the future. Thanks for the info!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of bundtkate, you are welcome @rbharat! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

This discussion has been closed.