Is there a way to require the master password for a specific item?

mrgrinst
mrgrinst
Community Member

I'm on a non-Touch ID Macbook and I'd like to avoid typing my long master password for most things. However, there are certain items that I'd like to require the master password for. I'm coming from Dashlane and that's one of the features in their notes (you can toggle a lock at the bottom to enable/disable password protection for that item).

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mrgrinst! Welcome to the forum!

There isn't a way to ask for the Master Password just for specific items I am afraid. Thank you for the feedback though! :+1:

• mrgrinst
    mrgrinst
    Community Member

Thanks for the quick response! Do you know of any workarounds to have something similar to this? Maybe having multiple vaults with different settings or something?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mrgrinst:

I am not aware of a workaround I am afraid :( Perhaps it might help if you could clarify your use case for this however, maybe there is something else we can suggest.

I understand not wanting to enter the Master Password too often (for that, you can tweak the auto-lock settings in the 1Password app or the browser extension, for example), but once 1Password is unlocked, you have access to all your data inside it. Is there a specific reason why you would want some of the items to remain locked even after unlocking 1Password?

• mrgrinst
    mrgrinst
    Community Member

Yeah so my main use case for this would be for extra-sensitive things like server keys at work, tax info, and stuff like that. Just one additional layer of security for peace of mind.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Understood, thank you for the clarification @mrgrinst :+1:

This discussion has been closed.