To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

I have a standalone version, is it possible to keep it while testing the membership version...?

J_schwinn
J_schwinn
Community Member

I'm moving forward with changing to the membership version, I currently have V7 standalone. Anyway to keep the standalone while testing the membership setup?

thank you, be well and be safe

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @J_schwinn!

Yes, you can just add your 1Password membership to the 1Password app without removing the old standalone vault from the app.

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member

thank you, hopefully when I get around to deleting the redundant standalone vault I don't delete the cloud version :)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@J_schwinn:

Just remember that the old standalone vault is called Primary, while your account vault is called either Personal or Private :)

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member

perfect, thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome :+1: :)

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member

I have created a membership account and all went well, I do see my "private" membership vault along side my licensed version. The existing primary "licensed" vault is used to unlock the 1P desktop app and the primary vault appears to be the dominate vault. If I download the desktop app from 1password.com will I have 2 apps on my Mac or with the app from 1password.com replace the licensed version?

If I do need to remove the licensed version to avoid any conflicts or redundancy would the following steps delete the licensed/local version without effecting the membership:

Migrate the vault to the membership version
    Delete the local Mac App and iOS apps (should I use a utility like AppDelete to remove all associated files?)
    Login to 1password.com and download a fresh set of Desktop and iOS apps?

thank you again,

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member

Sorry a couple more questions about master passwords and the desktop apps ...

The app uses the primary vault master password for the standalone version, how is it also "opening" the membership vault? (I'm assuming that this is happening since I can view both within the application)

Is the standalone desktop app the same as the membership application?

I did not migrate the online vault to my membership vault using the prompt when I first signed up for the membership and therefore didn't get the dialog asking if I wanted to delete the locally stored vault. If I had done this would the application now use the membership master password to open the application?

thanks, and sorry I'm a bit confused as to how the standalone is currently co-working with the membership within the application and whether it's best to change the standalone application to accommodate the membership or to get rid of the standalone for a cleaner installation and avoid other hiccups in the future that may arise with upgrades of the membership system etc.

• Hi @J_schwinn, I hope you're having a great weekend!

Your Primary standalone vault exists separately from your Private vault that you get with your 1Password.com account. If you sign in at https://my.1password.com then you'll be asked for the Master Password of your account. The Master Password for your standalone vault won't work here.

So why does it work on 1Password for Mac then? Well, the 1Password apps only ever require you to enter a single Master Password to unlock everything. We determine which one to use based on the following two rules:

• If a standalone Primary vault has been added then the Master Password for that vault is used, regardless of the second rule.
    • If one or more 1Password.com accounts have been added, 1Password will unlock using the Master Password of the first account that was added.

If you already have 1Password 7 for Mac installed, you don't need to install anything else. The same app is used for standalone vaults and memberships. When you're ready to migrate your data from your standalone vaults to your 1Password.com account, follow these steps:
    1. Unlock 1Password for Mac
    2. Choose Vault > Switch to Vault from the menu bar, and select your Private vault in your account
    3. Choose Help > Tools > Migrate Standalone Vaults to Account from the menu bar
    4. Check by signing in to https://my.1password.com that all your items have been migrated successfully
    5. Remove your Primary vault on all your devices by following the steps here

Once your Primary vault is removed, looking back to the rules above, your account's Master Password will be used instead of your Primary vault's Master Password. I hope that clarifies things a little bit, but let us know if you have any questions or need help with anything :smile:

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member

Hi Matthew - thank you for the detailed answer, it's much appreciated.

A couple followup questions

After registering for the membership trial I do have a "Shared" vault in my account but the info for this vault states that only I can edit and view. The 1P trial started as a family acct and I change it to an individual acct. Is this "shared" vault just a leftover vault from the initial family acct setup?

• If you can’t remove the old Primary vault (iOS), make sure you’ve migrated all your standalone vaults. Then remove them and try again. (from the "Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account" link above)

Why is it necessary to migrate all standalone vaults to delete the Primary vault? is it not possible standalone vaults to coexist with the account vaults on iOS?

Is there anything special about the default "Private" vault, for example if the Primary vault migrates to a new vault in the account could I delete the "Private" account, rename the newly migrated vault "Private" and I would end up with the same?

and last one....If I delete the Primary vault and 1P on Mac now recognizes the Master Password from the account to open, can I still create a new standalone vault?

thanks again,

• SvenS1P
    edited May 2020

Is this "shared" vault just a leftover vault from the initial family acct setup?

You're spot on, the Shared vault is just a remnant of your 1Password Families account that you started with. We always err on the side of caution, so didn't delete or move the vault when you changed from 1Password Families to 1Password for Individuals. If there aren't any items in there, or if you've moved all the items you need out, you can go ahead and delete the vault:

1. Sign in to your account on https://my.1password.com/
    2. Click the settings icon on the vault you want to delete
    3. Click More Actions > Delete Vault

Why is it necessary to migrate all standalone vaults to delete the Primary vault? is it not possible standalone vaults to coexist with the account vaults on iOS?

It is possible for standalone vaults to coexist on iOS - this behaviour is related to how standalone vaults themselves work and the first rule I mentioned in my last post. If you'd like to keep one or more standalone vaults but not your Primary standalone vault:

1. Ensure any vaults you do want to keep are being synced elsewhere - local standalone vaults will need to be set up to sync somewhere
    2. Delete all standalone vaults that you'll eventually want to keep from the 1Password app - this won't remove the data already synced to the third-party sync service
    3. Migrate the ones you don't want to keep to your 1Password.com account
    4. Add back the standalone vaults you want to keep - the first one you add will be your new Primary vault

However, I'd really recommend moving all of your items to your 1Password account if you can. There are certain features like Travel Mode and the additional protection from your Secret Key that only apply to vaults in your 1Password account. It's also much easier to be able to just sign in to your 1Password account than having to set up several different syncing methods.

Is there anything special about the default "Private" vault, for example if the Primary vault migrates to a new vault in the account could I delete the "Private" account, rename the newly migrated vault "Private" and I would end up with the same?

This is your default vault, so it can't be deleted. You can always create more vaults and move items between vaults if you need to though.

and last one....If I delete the Primary vault and 1P on Mac now recognizes the Master Password from the account to open, can I still create a new standalone vault?

Yes, you can still create new standalone vaults, but with the proviso that you'll lose some of the benefits of a 1Password account as I mentioned above. You'll need to ensure that Preferences > Advanced > Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts is enabled to create new standalone vaults.

Give us a shout if there's anything else we can do!

This discussion has been closed.