Importing 1Password 6 .1pif file into specific Vault in 1Password account.

Options
JC54
JC54
Community Member

I've begun managing the affairs of an aging parent who is a 1Password 6 (vers. 6.8.9 for Mac) user. I use 1Password 7 (vers. 7.5, Mac also) and have a 1Password family account. But my parent is not a member of that family account, and we don't want to cause her more frustration with upgrading. She still uses it some, and any changes are hard for her now. I have exported all of the her records into a .1pif file.

The assistance I've given has been gradually increasing over time. I've already got a separate vault named for this person, and it was manually populated with select information as I gradually took over assisting them with her accounts and other affairs. I want to be sure I'm doing this right again now. I hope there is a way to merge the new import into an existing vault.

1. When I choose to import that export file into my account, do I get a chance to select the vault that it goes into?
  2. If there are records in that vault that match the names of existing logins but some of the imported ones have updated field values, will it update the existing one or create a duplicate record?

Thanks in advance for the help

1Password Version: 6.8.9, 7,5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: MacOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited May 2020
    Options

@JC54

1. Yes, you can select the vault you want to import into. I do this routinely for testing. You can pre-select the vault ahead of time if that helps increase your confidence.
    2. The records in the 1PIF will be imported, regardless of name - no duplication detection is performed.

• JC54
    JC54
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks so much. That gives me confidence to proceed, but may put them in a new vault so I can compare and add missing ones.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good @JC54! Let us know if there is any way we can help :)

This discussion has been closed.