Filling wifi passwords in Android

Options
fritzophrenic
fritzophrenic
Community Member

I have several WiFi logins saved in the "Wireless Routers" category.

Whenever I go to connect to a new router, when I tap the password field, 1Password autofill offers to fill the password for me.

If I tap the popup, a list of logins appears, but nothing from Wireless Routers. When I explicitly search for the name of the entry, it still cannot find anything.

Taking it one step further, if I do not choose to use the autofill popup, but instead switch keyboards to the 1Password keyboard, then long-press the lock button to find an entry to use with the keyboard, I still cannot search for an entry.

I see that there are some reasons on iOS not to automatically autofill a WiFi password, and some of those reasons apply on Android, but why can't we explicitly search for an entry? And why, on Android, with a dedicated keyboard, can we not search for or select an arbitrary entry to use from the keyboard, from the Wireless Routers category?

The clipboard is probably one of the least secured places in Android, plus it's cumbersome to launch a separate app and manually find an entry to copy-paste, so I'd much prefer the other methods to get my passwords out of my vault.

1Password Version: 1Password for Android 7.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android 9
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @fritzophrenic. 1Password for Android can fill Login items, but it can't fill data from other categories, like Wireless Routers. If you want to be able to fill these, try saving them as Logins. If your Wi-Fi passwords are saved in the Logins category, they'll be available from the Autofill prompt.

• jgoguen
    jgoguen
    Community Member
    Options

@peri any reason why it's limited to Login items? I've got a few cases where a Login isn't quite right (there's only a password, nothing else) that I'd like to have 1Password autofill but can't.

• peri
    edited December 2019
    Options

@jgoguen It's limited to Logins because we haven't added support for other categories yet. That said, we'd definitely like to support filling other items. I'll pass your request on to our team as well!

ref: dev/android/onepassword-android#87

• fritzophrenic
    fritzophrenic
    Community Member
    Options

@peri, is the keyboard forced to use the same list as the autofill? I'm really surprised there does not seem to be a way to manually select arbitrary entries for use with the 1Password keyboard.

• @fritzophrenic The keyboard can only fill Login items as well. I'll pass your request for filling other categories on to our team!

• dcpiccolo
    dcpiccolo
    Community Member
    Options

What ever came of this? Did you pass the request? Are they still developing for android?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@dcpiccolo:

Yes, we passed the request, and we are still developing 1Password for Android. We have nothing to share about this specific feature yet though, but rest assured that our developers are hard at work on other features and fixes :+1:

• XanderXAJ
    XanderXAJ
    Community Member
    Options

I've also come across this and would like to request that wireless router entries can be automatically filled in too.

I did the workaround of creating a login item as suggested. Now 1Password Watchtower complains I'm re-using passwords! ;)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to weigh in on this too @XanderXAJ, noted :)

• rosefa
    rosefa
    Community Member
    Options

I've been trying 1Password and waiting for this feature.
    I didn't subscribed my account due to this issue.. this is a deal breaker for me and it seems that 1Password doesn't care for it

• peri
    Options

@rosefa Please try creating a Login item for your Wi-Fi passwords. 1Password can only fill Logins at the moment, though we do hope to fill other categories in the future. However, if you create a Login item, you should be able to fill it, then.

• djsteen
    djsteen
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

I recently started using an Android device (it's so awesome! Assistant is much more useful than Siri and being able to set default apps for messaging, browser, keyboard, etc.) and noticed the "issue" of Wi-Fi router (category) items not showing up when I'm trying to connect to a Wi-Fi router for the first time. Once I search through 1Password to find the password and paste it in, 1Password asks if I'd like to save it. Then it saves a Login (category). (This raises the issue of duplicates and the inability to merge them — another thread for another time.) I don't use/save Wi-Fi passwords enough for this to be annoying, but it would be nice for it to work as I would expect it to.

Thanks to the 1Password Team for all they do. My life would be frustrating without 1Password!

• peri
    Options

Thanks for reaching out and the kind words, @djsteen. I'm glad you're enjoying using your new Android device.

We would like to expand Autofill support to other categories, and I'll pass your request for this on to our developers. In the meantime, creating a Login item (as you mentioned) is exactly what I'd recommend.

• jgoguen
    jgoguen
    Community Member
    Options

Is there any way we as the community can express our support for certain features or enhancements? I don't know where this sits on the priority list (and I know you can't comment on potential future development work) but it's possible that this sits really low on the internal prioritization list but among Android users it's actually desired enough to bump it up to maybe the next couple releases.

I don't recall who did this, but there was one such implementation I liked. They kept their internal list of "must do" or "P0" work (the things that absolutely must be done for the next release) and that wasn't shared, but the community could also suggest new features or enhancements and vote on existing ones. Each person gets 10 votes they can spread around, either 10 votes on one or any number of votes spread around any number of feature requests up to 10 total votes. If you've used your votes up and vote on another, you have to pick where to withdraw a vote from. When a feature is marked as released, people get those votes back to use on other features.

I don't know if this was a custom thing they did or if there's a product that could be used, but it was a good way to make people think hard about what was actually important to them and it gave the company a good way to see what was actually important to the end users.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jgoguen:

Is there any way we as the community can express our support for certain features or enhancements?

Absolutely, you can share your thoughts and feedback here on this forum :+1: :)

• jgoguen
    jgoguen
    Community Member
    Options

Well, yes, but that needs someone to go through and manually (and sometimes subjectively) decide what's similar enough to be the same request, what's just chatter, what's chatter expressing support for the feature… and then there's dealing with duplicate threads that don't seem to be able to be merged and copy-pasta responses from employees who honestly are probably tired of saying the same thing over and over again…

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@jgoguen:

We have internal issue trackers where we collect the feedback we receive via email or on the forum ;)

This discussion has been closed.