Touch ID for Mac spontaneously activated?

foobar
foobar
Community Member

I've been using 1Password 7 for several months on my Mac running Mojave. Today, when clicking the browser extension in Chrome, I was prompted to use Touch ID to unlock 1Password instead of my Master Password, for the first time ever. I don't want to use Touch ID with 1Password on my Mac, and made sure it was disabled when I first installed 1Password 7.

Did some update silently change the default to use Touch ID? If so, that's rather uncool, especially since the About Touch ID security in 1Password for Mac article provides reasons why you might not want Touch ID enabled.

Thanks.

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1Password account

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @foobar!

If you open 1Password Preferences > Security tab, is the option named Allow Touch ID to unlock 1Password enabled?

• foobar
    foobar
    Community Member

Yes, after I received the highly unexpected dialog prompting me to use Touch ID to unlock my vault, I checked the 1P preferences and Allow Touch ID to unlock 1Password was checked, so I unchecked it and I'm back to my desired behavior. But I never checked that item, so it seems to have changed value without any input from me.

• @foobar

I haven't heard any other reports like this, and I can say that we have not intentionally flipped this preference for anyone. We'll certainly keep an eye out for further reports, and I'll ask our development team to review any code that may have changed recently surrounding Touch ID or this preference. Reviewing the release notes, I don't see any changes in this area though.

Thanks for letting us know about this experience.

Ben

• foobar
    foobar
    Community Member

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome! If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• foobar
    foobar
    Community Member

It happened again. I woke my Mac from sleep, tried to unlock 1P from browser extension, and it offered to unlock via Touch ID. Switched to 1P app, entered master password, and sure enough, "Allow Touch ID to unlock 1Password" preference was re-checked, and I had to enter my master password again to uncheck.

This seems like a bug to me, something is re-enabling that preference, and it ain't me.

• @foobar

I'm scratching my head, as it isn't possible to enable that preference without typing your Master Password. So we can take a look 'under the hood,' I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/113693/touch-id-for-mac-spontaneously-activated#latest
    • Your forum username: foobar
    • Any information you can provide about the timing of the issue... i.e. as best as you can recall when was it last working as expected and when did it start working unexpectedly

That way I can "connect the dots" when I see your diagnostics in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number.  Please post that number here so I can track down the diagnostics and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once I see the diagnostics I'll be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• foobar
    foobar
    Community Member

Done. Support ID: #DKL-71252-293

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks! We'll be in touch. :)

ref: DKL-71252-293

This discussion has been closed.