Common syncing issues

nomve
nomve
Community Member

Hi,

so first off I want to say that I really like your product. It makes my life easier and it generally works -- I don't remember the last time it didn't do its primary purpose to store and retrieve passwords.

With that said, the process of syncing a device is too often frustrating. I just got a new phone and spent way too much time trying to sync over the wifi. Of all the "fixes" mentioned on your troubleshooting page, the only thing that worked was:

• forget network on the mobile device
  • BUT BEFORE that start the sync process
  • reconnect to network and go back to 1password. then my device would appear
  • and it only worked in the 4th try. previously it would find the 'server' but it would either fail to authenticate because of a "temporary error" or it would fail before I could type in the secret

With my old phone there were issues that at one point went away, I don't know why. I realise network and all sorts of settings can get really complicated, but if the option exists it should work more reliably. I wouldn't mind syncing with a cable if that makes things easier. Things could be simpler if I would store all of my passwords online, but I don't want to do that.

I don't want to whine too much, but there are better things to do in 1-2 hours. Especially if the only time you have is when your 8-month old infant is taking an afternoon nap.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @nomve.

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience. I'm sorry to hear keeping your data up to date across your devices hasn't been more seamless. It sounds like you may be using 1Password's WLAN server to sync. The WLAN server is the oldest option we still offer, and tends to be the least recommended. It was designed for and in a time when access to reliable internet was less available and the computing power of mobile devices was a fraction of what it is today. It is by far the most complex option we offer to set up and maintain. There is a reason it is listed at the bottom of our sync guide. ;) There are simply better options available today.

Things could be simpler if I would store all of my passwords online, but I don't want to do that.

1Password data is always end-to-end encrypted, regardless of which sync option you use. What this means in practical terms is that nobody can decrypt your data without knowing your Master Password, which is never shared with anyone. On top of that, when using a 1Password membership, your data is protected by an additional encryption key: the Secret Key. The Secret Key makes it essentially impractical for someone who is able to obtain a copy of your encrypted data to attempt to brute force decryption, even if you have a relatively weak Master Password.

With the WLAN server there are a number of factors that are outside our control, and as such we have no ability to improve upon them directly. If you'd like to continue with it that is certainly your perogative, but there is a reason we've developed other options over the years. :) 1Password membership is the recommended way forward.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.