How to stop 1Password X suggesting emails in a form field.

broonix
broonix
Community Member
edited May 2020 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm the site owner and we are getting reports that 1Password X is blocking other content. I'd like to disable 1Password X on the form field causing this issue. I've tried using:

HTML

What markup can I add to stop 1Password X from popping up on this field?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:wrong input password X

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @broonix! 👋

Thanks for bringing this up. This is something that's been in the forefront of our minds for a while now – finding a way to make 1Password X ignore a field in a way that won't break filling on the rest (or at least a large chunk) of the internet. It turns out that it's actually a really hard problem to solve. I'm wondering if you're willing to share the website URL where the issue occurs. While I don't have a solution at the moment, it could help my team come up with an idea. The more examples we have, the better.

ref: dev/core/core#1031

• memeLab
    memeLab
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

This is a problem for other fields, too :(

Here's an example of 1p hijacking a "tags" multi-select field offering to supply saved credit cards. Note that I really can't use the zendesk field here (I need to select an existing tag from a list which pops up below the 1password modal), by which I mean: this is not just an inconvenience, but it is breaking the zendesk functionality.

My only workaround here is to disable 1passwordX temporarily (I use Simple Extension Manager for one-click toggling).

I guess this is occurring because the field contains the string "credit card"… Screenshots below.

A solution I'd suggest (understanding that you need to aggressively identify fields in order to be broadly useful) would be to offer a global "blacklist" similar to that under 1p Desktop (Mac) > Browsers > Autosave (except on the following domains). Suggest comparing a URL saved in a Login record against those in the blacklist, and the more specific wins. Then I could:

• blacklist zendesk.com
    • ensure the my zendesk login URL is restricted to their (specific) login page

Cheers, Tim

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@memeLab – Thanks so much for the detailed report and for including some screenshots! They're incredibly helpful. You're right; 1Password is picking up the update-credit-card tag and interpreting it as a credit card number field. That's a bit intrusive, though, especially in this specific instance. I'm curious what clicking the 1Password icon inside the Tags field does. That should close the inline menu for you and allow you to interact with the dropdown behind it, but let me know if you have any trouble with that.

A solution I'd suggest (understanding that you need to aggressively identify fields in order to be broadly useful) would be to offer a global "blacklist" similar to that under 1p Desktop (Mac) > Browsers > Autosave (except on the following domains).

Our thoughts are in line with your suggestion, and we do have a very similar feature, though not the exact same as the 1Password desktop app. What you can do is hide the 1Password X inline menu on that specific page. To do this, click Suggestions in your screenshot, then click Hide on this page. That'll hide the inline menu on that specific URL for the time that your browser remains open. We're still working on a way to safely save that data between browser sessions, but we figured we'd get the feature out while we're still determining the best way to go about it.

Let me know how that ends up working for you!

This discussion has been closed.