Using the 1password (word) generator to create a mac login password

Options
hardtofin
hardtofin
Community Member

Hey guys.

I am trying to set a more memorable password as the login password for my mac (not 1password). I read this article here: https://blog.1password.com/how-long-should-my-passwords-be/ that detailed how using a 4 word password as your master password for 1password is very strong because of the hashing that is used by 1password.

Does this apply though to using the same generator for my main mac login. I am wondering if the mac uses different hashing and therefore a 4 word password generated by 1password as the login to my mac would not be strong enough.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• hardtofin
    hardtofin
    Community Member
    Options

anyone?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hardtofin - macOS uses a similar PBKDF2 setup to what we use, I believe, but what's really important when considering an important password is the length and randomness of the password. At some point of length and randomness, you reach the point of diminishing returns, but you can user 1Password's robust generator to create a truly strong passphrase for your macOS user account with four words, or five words, or even six if you prefer.

• hardtofin
    hardtofin
    Community Member
    Options

Great this is really helpful thank you! And does osx also have a time delay between entries via the hashing of around 0.5 seconds per entry to slow down attacks?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hardtofin - you may wish to direct your specific questions regarding the exact specifications of macOS's user password protections to Apple. But yes, in general, that's what PBKDF2 is - a slow key derivation algorithm, designed to up the time required to "brute force" a password.

• hardtofin
    hardtofin
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much fro your help Lars, it's much appreciated!

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@hardtofin - you're quite welcome! Glad I was able to help. :) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.