1Password X Local Sync

mrm312
mrm312
Community Member

I've recently migrated from using 1Password standalone to a membership account. I was wondering if it is possible to sync the data to a local folder on my iMac for backup to my NAS. I've come across this link, https://support.1password.com/local-folder/, but it looks like this is only for using the standalone software, correct? Is there a way to do this with a membership account?

1Password Version: X
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.15.4
Sync Type: membership

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey @mrm312! There isn't a way to access any standalone vaults in 1Password X. 1Password X requires a membership, and you'll only see vaults within your account when using 1Password X. If you'd rather have standalone vaults, I'd suggest using the 1Password companion extension.

• mrm312
    mrm312
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

Hey Kaitlyn, I appreciate your quick response. I do not think I'm explaining myself correctly. I was wondering if there was a way to sync my 1Password X vault to a local folder on my iMac? So I have a copy of the 1Password X data locally.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020

@mrm312 – Hmmm. Are you wanting a backup copy of the data you have in 1Password, or are you wanting the data to live inside a local vault on your computer? The latter won't be possible while using 1Password X – 1Password X is only compatible with vaults stored inside your 1Password account. Local vaults/standalone vaults won't be able to be accessed using 1Password X. I hope that helps explain myself a little better, but let me know if you have any questions!

• mrm312
    mrm312
    Community Member

yes, local backup... just the data

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@mrm312 – I see! Thanks for clarifying that for me. In that case, let me loop in my colleagues who will be able to help you out better than I will. I specialize in 1Password X, but I'll move this thread to the Mac category so they can help you obtain what you're looking for. :)

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2020

Hi @mrm312

1Password 7 for Mac makes a local cache of your data so that you can access it while either you or we are offline. I would recommend backing up this cache. You can find the necessary files in:

~/Library/Group Containers/2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits/Library/Application Support/1Password/Data

This could be used in disaster recovery by disconnecting from the internet, putting the files back in that same folder, and then using 1Password for Mac to export the data (File > Export). If you aren't already using 1Password for Mac it is included with your membership and can be downloaded here:

Best Password Manager for macOS & Safari

Ben

• mrm312
    mrm312
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

Unfortunately, I do not think Kaitlyn is clearly understanding my question, as this is not a Mac related question, I think this should remain in the 1Password X sub-forum.

I was just asking simply, if I'm using 1Password X - is there a way to export/backup that vault data (from 1Password X) locally to my personal computer (not for use, just for redundancy). Just to have a local backup of my 1Password X data if for some reason i would like to reset my 1Password X vault data or for some reason that data is lost.

I'm aware of how it worked when I used 1Password 7, but since I'm no longer using the standalone version - i'm looking for a way to back up my 1Password X vault's data. I see there is an import feature on 1Password X, but no export feature.

Thanks,
    Mike

• @mrm312

I'm sorry for any confusion. For what it's worth 1Password X and 1Password for Mac are not mutually exclusive. I use both extensively. Both work well with 1Password membership accounts. Standalone doesn't factor into the conversation. It is helpful to have both 1Password for Mac and 1Password X as, for example, 1Password X doesn't have editing abilities — it uses the 1Password.com web app for that. If you're offline and all you have installed is 1Password X you'll be unable to edit items. 1Password for Mac on the other hand would be able to edit your items while offline.

The short answer to your question, as far as I'm aware, is 'no.' 1Password X's cache would be stored in your browser's local storage, which probably isn't very useful for what you're trying to accomplish. You'd need to install 1Password for Mac and sign into your account in order to have the kind of export / backup you're looking for.

Ben

• mrm312
    mrm312
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

Thanks Ben,

I think I'm causing the confusion - as I've become very confused on the 1Password products once the membership option was added. I thought 1Password X was the "membership version" and 1Password 7 was the "standalone version". Reading your response above, i guess I'm misunderstanding 1Password X.

Two questions:

1. Can you explain the difference between 1Password X, membership account, 1Password web?

2. Is there a way to use my membership account and link to 1Password 7, 1Password X, mobile, and web - so my data is in one place and can use any of these to access my vault?

Sorry for all the questions, but i clearly misunderstood the various products. Thanks for your patience.

• I can certainly understand the confusion.

Can you explain the difference between 1Password X, membership account, 1Password web?

1Password X is a membership-only browser extension. 1Password 7 is a Mac app that can be used either with standalone vaults or membership. 1Password.com is a web app that is membership only, and is where you'd perform administrative tasks on your account (such as updating billing information).

Is there a way to use my membership account and link to 1Password 7, 1Password X, mobile, and web - so my data is in one place and can use any of these to access my vault?

Yes. You'd simply sign into the same account with each of those apps. Your membership holds the "master copy" of your encrypted data. That data would then be synced and cached by each of the apps.

Sorry for all the questions, but i clearly misunderstood the various products. Thanks for your patience.

No worries. There are a number of things that either have changed or are in the process of changing so it can be a bit of a task to keep up. Thanks for sticking with us and being willing to learn.

Ben

• mrm312
    mrm312
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

Thanks Ben, that helps. I'll have to reread the support docs and figure it out. I appreciate your (and Kaitlyn's) patience and walking me through it.

• On behalf of Ben, and Kaitlyn, you're welcome.

• mrm312
    mrm312
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

I read through the docs again last night and was able to setup 1Password 7 and correctly link it to my membership account. So now my MBP, mobile, and iMac are all linked to my membership account and data. I understand better how 1Password7 (native app), 1Password (web), 1Password X (membership browser extension) differ and can utilize the membership account.

I have just one last question, 1Password 7 is asking if I want to enable the browser extension helper to run in the background. Do I need to do this if I'm using 1Password X? Is there a difference between the 1Password X browser extension and the old extensions that I used to use? I was under the impression 1Password X replaced the legacy browser extensions. Thanks again...

• 1Password X does not (currently) make use f the extension helper. It works independently of 1Password for Mac. As such you do not need to enable that if you plan to continue with 1Password X.

1Password X is our newer extension and is the one being actively developed (along with the Safari App Extension). The traditional browser extension can still be used in Chrome/Firefox though, and requires 1Password 7 and the helper to operate. Which you choose to use is entirely preference, but if you're set up with 1Password X and are comfortable with that, I generally wouldn't see reason to change.

Ben

• mrm312
    mrm312
    Community Member

Thanks Ben.

• You are very welcome. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.