What exactly is 1Password X?

Not sure where I have been, but I had reason to visit the site today for the first time in a while and noticed references to 1Password X but I could not easily find out exactly what it is, so I thought I would ask on here I hope someone will tell me :-)

Thank you for your help.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:What exactly is 1Password X?

Comments

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hey there @iwaddo! 👋

Good question, and I'm happy to explain things for you. 1Password X is a full featured 1Password extension for Chrome and Firefox that can be used without a connection to the main 1Password app (but runs smoothly alongside it), and access to it comes with our 1Password.com accounts. It has a bunch of awesome features that the 1Password browser extension doesn't have, like your logins will be available directly within the web-page you are viewing. 1Password X will also receive new updates to saving and filling logic before the other apps. If that sounds good to you, I highly recommend giving 1Password X a shot.

For a demo on the user experience, check out this support article. As always, I'll be here if you have any questions!

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member

@kaitlyn

Hi, thank you for the prompt reply. I have two further questions if I may....

1. Is this also for Chrome and Firefox on iOS?
    2. What about Safari?

I have always felt that running the native browser, Safari, on all my Apple devices would give me the best chance of a consistent approach to integration with the OS and other apps that I may choose to install so up to now have resisted installing Chrome so as not to 'contaminate' my devices.

Whilst I am sure there are many out there who will disagree with my approach, this is the first time in 7-years as a converted to Mac user that I have felt disadvantaged. This does rather feel like the beginnings of a slippery slope so will 1Password X and the native apps always be developed in parallel to the same levels of functionality?

Thank you for your help

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@iwaddo – I'm afraid the answer to both of your questions is "no". Allow me to explain. As of right now, iOS doesn't allow you to install extensions in any browser. Instead, we've got the 1Password for iOS app, which can be used with Password AutoFill (Apple's feature that was released in iOS 12). As far as Safari on macOS goes, Apple recently changed the game a bit. Safari App Extensions are now baked inside of macOS applications, which only allows for one extension per app. We're continuing to explore ways to bring some of the features of 1Password X to Safari, but I don't see it being available in Safari in the near future. The codebase is also entirely different from Chrome and Firefox, so it'd require a rewrite.

You're more than welcome to continue using Safari on your Apple devices. I have nothing against that myself. If that's the route you go, then 1Password X won't be for you. Instead, we've got a different 1Password extension that goes right along with your 1Password for Mac app. The fundamental experience is similar to 1Password X, though, and you'll still be able to fill your credentials in your browser.

This does rather feel like the beginnings of a slippery slope so will 1Password X and the native apps always be developed in parallel to the same levels of functionality?

I'm not sure I'm following you on your last question. 1Password X isn't taking over the rest of the 1Password clients. 1Password X was originally made with Linux users in mind since there isn't a 1Password native application available for Linux. An extension that doesn't need the connection to a desktop app is what developed from that, which is how 1Password X was made. All that said, it doesn't change the plans we have for 1Password for Mac and 1Password for Windows. I'm not sure if that answers your question at all, but hopefully it provides a bit more clarity and potentially reassures you. If you have further questions, feel free to send them my way.

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member

@kaitlyn

Thank you. Your responses do answer my questions.

Is there a simple summary of the key experience differences between using the Safari Extension on my Mac versus Chrome and 1Password X, perhaps there is a demo or video you could point me towards?

Can I just add that I use 1Password across the family on our devices and it does a great job. Thank you.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@iwaddo – We don't necessarily have a list of the features for each extension we offer. I'm not a huge fan of comparing the two extensions. They each work well for different use cases, so it's hard to have a comparison chart without giving the idea that one is superior to the other, and that's not the case at all. We do have some demo videos that may help, though. Here they are:

Thank you for the kind words! I shared them with the entire team, as it truly is a team effort. ❤️

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member

@kaitlyn

Thank you, 1Password X looks great especially having logins directly within the web-page you are viewing, I’ll have to ponder on my reticence to use Chrome.

Thank you for your support.

• If Chrome isn't your thing you might consider Firefox or Brave instead. :) Both the Safari App Extension and 1Password X are under active development and I'd expect them to become more similar to each other with regard to the user experience as time goes on.

Ben

• iwaddo
    iwaddo
    Community Member

@Ben thank you, that is useful to consider.

I have nothing against Chrome, in fact I use it on my work laptop as it their preference within the SOE. I have just developed the idea that my iMac and iOS experience will be happier using the native OS apps wherever possible. For example, even though I own an Outlook licence I still use the Apple Mail app for the same reason.

Some would consider my approach odd, maybe I should reconsider, but it might upset my OCD tendencies 😂

I will watch with interest the ongoing development of Safari App Extension and 1Password X.

Thank you for your help.
    Regards, Ian.

• I have just developed the idea that my iMac and iOS experience will be happier using the native OS apps wherever possible.

I can't argue that. :)

I will watch with interest the ongoing development of Safari App Extension and 1Password X.

:+1:

Ben

This discussion has been closed.