An error occurs when adding a Chrome extension.

An error occurs when adding a Chrome extension.
「Could not move extension directory into profile」
Other extensions cannot be added with the same error.
I reboot the PC and the same thing happened.
I reinstalled chrome but could not resolve.

chrome version : 83.0.4103.61(Official Build)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.19.1
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• choi_mixi
    choi_mixi
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @choi_mixi!

Other extensions cannot be added with the same error.

This sounds like a Chrome problem, if you are not able to add other extensions either. Have you tried creating a brand new empty profile in Chrome, and see if you are able to install your extensions there?

• choi_mixi
    choi_mixi
    Community Member

Thank you for Your reply.

In my case, I was able to successfully add the native app extension.
    (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-extension-deskt/aomjjhallfgjeglblehebfpbcfeobpgk)

But 1password X is sitll the same error after creating new profile.
    (https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-x-–-password-ma/aeblfdkhhhdcdjpifhhbdiojplfjncoa)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@choi_mixi:

Thank you for the update! I have just tried installing the 1Password X browser extension in Chrome version 83.0.4103.61 (Official Build) (64-bit) and it installed for me without issues. Do you get the same error message even with other browser extensions, even with the new browser profile?

• choi_mixi
    choi_mixi
    Community Member

I tried installing 1Password X to Chrome browser. It is same error message even with new profile.
    And Other browser extensions installed success without error message.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@choi_mixi:

Thank you for the confirmation. I have Google this a bit and I found this bug report that suggests this might be an issue in Chrome.

• choi_mixi
    choi_mixi
    Community Member

I read the bug report and tried
    1. 「\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\」 Change the folder name of 「Default」 and try reinstall Chrome.
    2. 「\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\」 Delete the folder 「Default」 and try reinstall Chrome.
    3. 「\AppData\ Local\Google\Chrome」 Change the folder name of 「Default」 and try reinstall Chrome.
    4. 「\AppData\ Local\Google\Chrome」Delete the folder 「Chrome」 and try reinstall Chrome.

But 1password X is sitll the same error.「Could not move extension directory into profile」

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

I appreciate you keeping us in the loop, @choi_mixi. This isn't something I've seen before, so I'm intrigued by it. I'm wondering if you can try installing the 1Password X beta, not necessarily as a permanent solution, but I'm curious if you receive the same error or not. Here's the link to the 1Password X beta in Chrome. Do you get the exact same results, or are you able to install the beta just like you were the desktop-dependent 1Password extension?

Another question for you: what platform are you using – macOS, Windows, or Linux?

• choi_mixi
    choi_mixi
    Community Member

I tried add 1Password x beta in Chrome. 1Password x beta is the same error message「Could not move extension directory into profile」
    And desktop-dependent 1Password extension is no error message.
    My platform is
    ・Windows 10 18363.836
    ・chrome version : 83.0.4103.61(Official Build)
    ・1Password X Extension Version: 1.19.1

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@choi_mixi – Do you know if some extensions are blocked from being installed on your computer (perhaps it's a work computer that has certain limitations when it comes to extensions)? Have you had 1Password X installed on that computer in the past?

• choi_mixi
    choi_mixi
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

Do you know if some extensions are blocked from being installed on your computer

I don't know about that.
    I don't remember that I installed same version of 1Password X 1.19.1.
    But I installed 1Password X before on my current PC.
    Maybe I couldn't add extensions since I reinstalled Chrome.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@choi_mixi – Are you able to install 1Password X in another browser, like Firefox for example? If you need the link, here it is.

Have you reinstalled Chrome since the issue started happening? Based on the steps you provided here:

1. 「\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\」 Change the folder name of 「Default」 and try reinstall Chrome.
    2. 「\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\」 Delete the folder 「Default」 and try reinstall Chrome.
    3. 「\AppData\ Local\Google\Chrome」 Change the folder name of 「Default」 and try reinstall Chrome.
    4. 「\AppData\ Local\Google\Chrome」Delete the folder 「Chrome」 and try reinstall Chrome.

I assumed you did, but I'm now realizing that may have meant reinstalling the 1Password extension rather than reinstalling the Chrome app.

• choi_mixi
    choi_mixi
    Community Member

Are you able to install 1Password X in another browser, like Firefox for example?

I have successfully installed 1passwordX on Firefox

Have you reinstalled Chrome since the issue started happening? Based on the steps you provided here:

Yes, I re-installed Chrome after this issue occurred.

I assumed you did, but I'm now realizing that may have meant reinstalling the 1Password extension rather than reinstalling the Chrome app.

I reinstalled the extension 1PasswordX after the Chrome reinstallation steps above.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@choi_mixi – Thanks for taking a shot at installing 1Password X in Firefox. That confirms the issue is only with Chrome, which actually stumps me a bit. Do you have any Chromium-based browsers on your computer right now, like Edge or Brave, for example? I wonder if the installation would work there.

• choi_mixi
    choi_mixi
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Thank you for your reply

Do you have any Chromium-based browsers on your computer right now, like Edge or Brave, for example?

Edge is installed on my PC.
    Brave is not installed on my PC.

I wonder if the installation would work there.

Does it mean that uninstalling enge might fix this error?
    Edge is not used, there is no problem in uninstalling it.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@choi_mixi:

Does it mean that uninstalling enge might fix this error?

I think kaitlyn was suggesting to just try to install 1Password X in Edge, and see if it works there. So we can understand if this is a problem with the extension itself, or with just one browser.

• choi_mixi
    choi_mixi
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply

I think kaitlyn was suggesting to just try to install 1Password X in Edge, and see if it works there. So we can understand if this is a problem with the extension itself, or with just one browser.

I understood the meaning.

I installed 1password x on edge and brave.
    When adding the extension, the same error as Chrome occurred.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

Thanks so much for the update, @choi_mixi. I'm working on looping in my team to see if they have any suggestions for us. One of my colleagues suggested clearing Chrome's cache and reinstalling Chrome as an administrator*. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you've already done the latter. Could you try clearing Chrome's cache and seeing if that makes a difference here? Let me know!

*To reinstall Chrome as an administrator: download Chrome, close the popup when it opens automatically, right click on Chrome.exe file, click Run as Administrator

• choi_mixi
    choi_mixi
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply.

I tried clearing Chrome's cache and reinstalling Chrome as an administrator.
    But, The same error occurs when adding a Chrome extension.

• @choi_mixi

I am sorry to hear that clearing Chrome's cache didn't help. In this case, could you please delete Google folder in AppData and then reinstall Chrome again to see how it works this time?

The AppData is in Window C: directory. Please go there > Select Users > Select the name of the profile you are using > Select AppData.

However, AppData is a hidden folder and will not show up automatically. If you can't find the folder, click on View in the menu bar > Options > Change folder and search option > Select View tab > Select Show hidden files, folders and drivers.

Open AppData > Local > Search and delete Google folder > Reinstall Chrome and download 1Password X again.

• choi_mixi
    choi_mixi
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

I have done the same as you suggested. That is the link here.

「\AppData\ Local\Google\Chrome」Delete the folder 「Chrome」 and try reinstall Chrome.

There was an error when adding 1Password X this way.

• choi_mixi
    choi_mixi
    Community Member

And I tried
    「\AppData\ Local\Google」Delete the folder 「Google」 and try reinstall Chrome.as an administrator.
    But, The same error occurs when adding a Chrome extension 1Password X.

• @choi_mixi Thank you for trying different solutions. In this case, If you have any anti-virus, please temporarily disable it and follow these steps to see how it works.

1. Empty Recycle bin.

2. please go here and follow the steps there to clear Chrome's cache.

3. After that, you can follow the instructions here to create a new profile on Chrome.

4. Go here and only install 1Password X on the new profile.

• choi_mixi
    choi_mixi
    Community Member

If you have any anti-virus, please temporarily disable it

I use Windows 10 Enterprise on my PC. Unfortunately WindowsDefender could not be disabled.

• choi_mixi
    choi_mixi
    Community Member
    1. Empty Recycle bin.
    2. please go here and follow the steps there to clear Chrome's cache.
    3. After that, you can follow the instructions here to create a new profile on Chrome.
    4. Go here and only install 1Password X on the new profile.1.

I tried with the steps except disabling Windows Defender and as a result I am getting the same error as before.

• Hello @choi_mixi

Could you please let me know if the error only occurs when installing 1Password X or any extension? Additionally, please open the task manager by right-clicking on the taskbar > Task Manager > Search and end all of Chrome's processes.

After that, please open file explorer by right-clicking on the Windows logo > File explorer > paste this link in the address bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\ > Search for the folder called Default > Delete that folder or rename it to something like "Backup Default" > Open Chrome and try again.

Thank you and best regards.

• choi_mixi
    choi_mixi
    Community Member

Thank you for your reply

Could you please let me know if the error only occurs when installing 1Password X or any extension?

When I installing 1Password X Extension the error is occurs.
    When I installing 1Password Extension for Windows App the error is not occurs.

Additionally, please open the task manager by right-clicking on the taskbar > Task Manager > Search and end all of Chrome's processes.

I ended all Chrome processes in Task Manager.

After that, please open file explorer by right-clicking on the Windows logo > File explorer > paste this link in the address bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\ > Search for the folder called Default > Delete that folder or rename it to something like "Backup Default" > Open Chrome and try again

I ended all Chrome processes in Task Manager, renamed the Default folder and then installed the 1password x extension.
    The result shows the same error as before.

• @choi_mixi I am sorry to hear that forcing chrome to start create a new Default folder didn't work. In this case, if you are up for it, please try these steps to restart Chrome.

1. Please open right-click on the Windows logo > File explorer > paste this link in the address bar: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\ > Search for the new Default > Right click on the folder > properties > Security > Make sure that you have your profile has full control permissions.

2. Open Chrome > Paste this string "Chrome://flags" > Press enter > Search for the Enable Reset Profile Settings flag > click on the Enable > Restart Chrome.

3. Paste this to the address bar "chrome://settings" > Enter > Scroll all the way down > click on Advanced settings > Scroll to the end > Click on "Reset browser settings" button.

• choi_mixi
    choi_mixi
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Thank you for your comment.

I tried step1 and
    Step 2

And I tried Step3

I installed the 1password x extension.
    The result shows the same error as before.

• ag_yaron
    ag_yaron
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for sticking with us through this process, @choi_mixi .
    There's seems to be a glitch in Chrome there, where some extensions are installed without issues, while others give you this error.

There are a few more things I that I believe worth trying:

• Try to sign into a Google account when you're in the Chrome extensions store. You'll need an active Google account for that. Once you sign in, try installing 1Password X.
    • Empty your Temp directory, located in %temp% or %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp\
    • Empty the recycle bin / trash.
    • Change your computer's language to English, restart, then try installing the extension.

Let us know if any of these worked.

This discussion has been closed.