Emergency kit, is the email address only used as a username?

Options
J_schwinn
J_schwinn
Community Member
edited May 2020 in Families

This question is about the use of the Emergency kit as it might be used and saved in a will. Is the email address only necessary as a username? For example could my wife or children gain access to the 1password.com account with the information in the Emergency Kit and even change the email address without access to the original email account that was used to start the account?

thank you,

7.5 individual account

Comments

• ag_tommy
    Options

@J_schwinn

could my wife or children gain access to the 1password.com account with the information in the Emergency Kit

Yes.

even change the email address without access to the original email account that was used to start the account?

If they have the Emergency Kit with the Secret Key and your Master Password. They could move all of the data to a new account without the need to change/access the email.

I would also recommend setting up account recovery. https://support.1password.com/recovery/

Thank you for posting the topic, you just reminded me, that I need to update my Emergency papers to include a recently changed email account password. I have included a minimum set of items for my executor, including my Emergency Kit (filled out), Password to my Mac and iOS devices, and my email account password.

• J_schwinn
    J_schwinn
    Community Member
    edited May 2020
    Options

Thanks Tommy

• "If they have the Emergency Kit with the Secret Key and your Master Password. They could move all of the data to a new account without the need to change/access the email. I would also recommend setting up account recovery. https://support.1password.com/recovery/"

I am currently using an individual account, I share everything, devices etc with my wife so we share this account. It would be cumbersome to maintain 2 redundant accounts, so we don't have need for the family account. My children, are actually full fledged adults :) have their own individual 1Password accounts, so they are also not under the umbrella of a family account. As a result account recovery isn't an option. But even with a family account this would also require access to the original email address.

Based on the above scenario, my guess is that they would be able to access my email account, but let's say it's similar to your situation where the email account may not have been updated and/or eliminated, could the email associated with the account be changed. Or, is it not even necessary if it's only a "username"? I guess I could test this and try to change my email account within 1Password.com but I'm in the middle of switching from a standalone to a 1P account, and I'm trying to limit the number of things I will break :)

thanks again,

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2020
    Options

@J_schwinn

Thanks for pointing out you had an individual account. :)

For recovery, yes, you would need access to the email account, and have other members.

let's say it's similar to your situation where the email account may not have been updated and/or eliminated, could the email associated with the account be changed.

An email address change would need to be confirmed. An authentication code is sent to the (current) email address.

but I'm in the middle of switching from a standalone to a 1P account, and I'm trying to limit the number of things I will break

Understood entirely.

This discussion has been closed.