2 macs, same Family account. how to. delete 1PW account from one of them

sampler
sampler
Community Member
  1. I have 1 PW 7 on two macs A & B with the same family account. My wife has a separate mac C with 1PW 7. with her own data. I've exported the data and moved the pif from C to B. Now I want to delete my data from B and import hers. (The reason is that I want hers to go into a new vault for her use.)
    How can I do this?
    Thanks

1Password Version: 7.5.
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: don't know, not icloud
Referrer: forum-search:2 macs, same account. how to. delete 1PW account from one of themr

Comments

• sampler
    sampler
    Community Member

Should have added: B will be her main computer for awhile.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sampler!

Can you please let us know what sync method you are using? This is important, because there might be an easier way to do this that doesn't involve manually exporting and importing data.

• sampler
    sampler
    Community Member

A and B are syncing to your servers, as I can see all items when I log in. C is syncing to Dropbox.

• @sampler

Thanks for the additional information. Here is what I'd recommend:

1. On computer C have your wife migrate from Dropbox to her account within your 1Password Families membership. Please see this guide for detailed instructions: Move your existing 1Password data to a 1Password account. You can skip any steps that may have already been done such as installing 1Password 7 and inviting her to your membership. Make sure computer C is signed into her account within the 1Password Families membership in the 1Password for Mac app (1Password > Preferences > Accounts).
    2. On computer B select Help > Troubleshooting > Reset All 1Password Data to erase all 1Password data from computer B.
    3. Have your wife sign into her account in 1Password on computer B.
    4. Delete the 1PIF from both B and C, and anywhere else it might exist. 1PIFs are unencrypted so it isn't a good idea to leave them hanging around.

At that point all of the data that was migrated to her account within your 1Password Families membership should be available to her on both computer B and computer C. If you want to clean the data off computer C you can follow step 2 on that computer at this point. Please let me know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• sampler
    sampler
    Community Member

Make sure computer C is signed into her account within the 1Password Families membership in the 1Password for Mac app (1Password > Preferences > Accounts).

I'm sorry, I forgot that I had tried to install 1PW 7 on C but couldn't because C has OS 10.11.6. When we try to sign on to her Families account from within the 1PW6 app, we get an error. "Cant find server".

So, I'm still thinking of a solution like:
    On B.
    1. Turn off wifi
    2. Reset all data to erase current 1PW data
    3. Import the pif from C into 1PW7
    4. Turn on wifi
    5. Sign onto her Families account from within 1PW

At this point is there an option to assign her new data to a new vault?

Thanks

• sampler
    sampler
    Community Member

Make sure computer C is signed into her account within the 1Password Families membership in the 1Password for Mac app (1Password > Preferences > Accounts).

I'm sorry, I forgot that I had tried to install 1PW 7 on C but couldn't because C has OS 10.11.6. When we try to sign on to her Families account from within the 1PW6 app, we get an error. "Cant find server".

So, I'm still thinking of a solution like:
    On B.
    1. Turn off wifi
    2. Reset all data to erase current 1PW data
    3. Import the pif from C into 1PW7
    4. Turn on wifi
    5. Sign onto her Families account from within 1PW

At this point will there option to assign the new data to a new vault?

Thanks

• @sampler

Gotcha, thanks for filling in that gap. Considering that, I'd recommend a slight modification to your proposal:

1. Reset all data to erase current 1Password data on B
    2. Sign onto her Families account from within 1Password on B
    3. Import the .1pif from C into 1Password 7 on B

I don't see the need to turn WiFi off / on, and the import should be done after signing into her account so that a vault accessible to her account can be the import destination.

Ben

• sampler
    sampler
    Community Member

Everything worked! Thanks, Ben!

• On behalf of Ben, you're welcome.

This discussion has been closed.