Password from password generator wasn't saved. Where is the history of password generator?

Options
Stevenoc
Stevenoc
Community Member

I used the password generator to change a password. I clicked to save the change of passwords but it wasn't saved. I used to be able to find the password in a history. Can I still do this?

1Password Version: 7.3.2
Extension Version: 7.3.2
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:history of password generator

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Stevenoc!

If you open 1Password and go to the Passwords category, you will find every password generated by the password generator in there ;)

• alenarto
    alenarto
    Community Member
    Options

This should work in principle but doesn't in practice. I've had this problem repeatedly in the last 8 months, tried to follow the instructions to find password history, but with no success, the filled in password-generator passwords are not preserved in history. The last password saved there is from April 2019.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alenarto:

You will only see passwords stored in that category in those cases where you don't have a corresponding login which uses the generated password. If you use the password generator, and 1Password prompts you to save this login, we save your login and then remove the password from the category because you would have a duplicate otherwise.

• alenarto
    alenarto
    Community Member
    Options

Indeed. Except that there are instance (e.g., where I have to reset a password for a website) that 1Password does not prompt me to update an existing login. It provides a password-generator suggested password, but there is no way to save it. I've had multiple instances where I could not retrieve it. Again, my "password" category shows the last updated password on April 2019, and my reset password website has now an incorrect password in memory. So the software is not behaving as advertised.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alenarto - if you use 1Password's built-in Strong Password Generator to create a password, it will always be saved, unless you took significant steps to make it otherwise. You as a user don't have to take any particular affirmative action to save the password.

The reason we do this is because you're quite right that there are indeed a small handful of times when being prompted to save a new (or updated) Login item will not function correctly. 1Password works most of the time to offer a choice to save or update a Login item. But we didn't want those handful of times when that wasn't the case and 1Password didn't offer to save a Login to result in users getting locked out of their own accounts. That's why, if you generate a password using 1Password's generator, it will always be saved. Can you give us exact steps for how you go about generating a password, using 1Password's generator? If you like, you can take a screencast or even post a screenshot or two if you prefer that to trying to describe steps. Just don't include any personally-identifying information, if you do that. Are you using the mini/extension to generate the password? Or the main 1Password application?

• alenarto
    alenarto
    Community Member
    Options

Hi there. I just sent a diagnostic report to the support member who reached out to me so hopefully that's helpful. In the meantime...

• I go into website settings to change my password
    • the website has 3 usual fields (old password, new password, new password retype)
    • there is a little 1pass logo in the old password screen, i click on that and select the suggested fill in to complete
    • i then go to the new password fields, click on the same 1pass logo
    • the logo gives me choice of two items: 1. suggested password to use (password-generator), 2. "save to xxxxx.website.name"
    • if i choose 1, and confirm that password change, then my password gets saved but there is no record of it in 1password (either the website entry, or password category)
    • if i choose 2, nothing happens

So to answer your question, I am using the mini-extension to generate the password. Note that I no longer know where in the 1password main application the password-generator lives. I've looked at it but haven't had luck finding it. Also note that I used Firefox.

Thanks.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@alenarto - I didn't realize you were communicating with our email support team as well. Since that's the case, and we're able to exchange much more information about your setup that way than we should in this public forum, let's keep the conversation going via email instead of in two places at once. Thanks. :)

• Lukasbob
    Lukasbob
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the exact same issue. Is there a solution to this problem?

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Lukasbob

Passwords that have been generated and then either copied or filled should be saved in the Passwords category. Are you not seeing them there? Please let us know.

Ben

• Lukasbob
    Lukasbob
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Ben

I did manage to find it but it was not saved under the Passwords category. Since this was generated through the 1password extension, in order to find it I had to hit the "+" (through the extension) to create a new Login, then hit the "Password Generator" button and in there, you find a "Generator History" button. A lot of digging but fortunately it was found. I believe this button should be in a more obvious location.

Best,
    Lukas

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Lukasbob:

It sounds like you are using a different extension than the one we are talking about in this forum discussion. Are you perhaps running the 1Password X browser extension? I suspect that is the one you are using, from your description.

• Lukasbob
    Lukasbob
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana yes, this is the 1Password X browser extension. Apologies if I mixed up things

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

No worries @Lukasbob! Thank you for the confirmation! I just wanted to make sure in case other users stumble upon this discussion and they cannot find the Generator History in the same place because they are using the companion browser extension instead than 1Password X :)

This discussion has been closed.