Generating passwords into thin air

I've been losing generated passwords. It's extremely frustrating, and was THE reason I ditched LastPass for 1password. I'm currently using the Chrome Extension on Mac - no native app installed on this computer.

The scenario is this, resetting a password on a form, for example on discussions.agilebits.com. Use the little pop-up from the password entry field, find and select "generate password". Generate one. The extension fills in both fields. Submit, and now I'm logged in.

Except the generated password is nowhere to be found. Yes I read and followed this: https://support.1password.com/recover-unsaved-password/

So what gives, why is 1password so eager to generate a password and then immediately forget it?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.19.1
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: 1passwordX

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ryanobjc!

A popup should appear after you click on the Autofill button, prompting you to save the information. If that doesn't happen, please make sure you click on the Save in 1Password button below the password field of the form you are filling, so 1Password knows to save the information:

• ryanobjc
    ryanobjc
    Community Member

I didn't click on that. I think that was visible, but I certainly didn't click on it.

But the documentation say that any generated passwords are saved. Apparently they are not saved, you have to specifically save it. I find this workflow to be error prone and I've lost multiple passwords this way. Sometimes immediately after clicking on the generated password the form is filled, and the pop up disappears and then it's easy to submit the form without hitting 'save in 1 password'. Nothing sillier than changing your password then immediately hitting the 'forgot password' button!

It would be nice if any time you hit 'generate password' or it gets copied to a form that was saved. Requiring very specific user steps to avoid not losing a password on a common journey is very painful. After all, a password vault should remember passwords!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ryanobjc:

It would be nice if any time you hit 'generate password' or it gets copied to a form that was saved.

The companion browser extension does this. 1Password X is our latest extension and works a bit differently from the companion one, so there will be some differences in behavior. Currently, this is why we have the Save in 1Password button in 1Password X, but I understand your feedback :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@ryanobjc:

I forgot to mention something else in my previous post: if you are using 1Password X, you should also be able to find previously generated passwords, they would just be in a different place: if you open 1Password X in your browser, click on the "+" button and select the Password Generator button, you should see a button named Generator History at the bottom of the extension window. I hope this helps!

• ollitheorange
    ollitheorange
    Community Member

Hi,

I think I have the same issue as OP (not sure tho).

When I visit a new website and want to create a new profile I start filling out the needed information and when I get to the password field, I use the pop-up window by 1passord X chrome extension, to "generate a password", I hit save, and then finish my profile creation.

Often I'm immediately logged into the website, but the email/username and password are nowhere to be found. The login or at lease the password that was generated for this particular login is gone. Now I need to reset my password on that website to be able to log in again in the future... REALLY FRUSTRATING! :-(

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020

@ollitheorange:

Have you tried the Generator History suggestion in my previous post already? Are you able to see your generated passwords there?

• ollitheorange
    ollitheorange
    Community Member

@ag_ana

Aaah nice! Thank you very much - what a relief! :chuffed:

What would be the reason for 1password X not saving the login information on certain websites?

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@ollitheorange – Does this happen for you on every website, or is there a particular website that you're having trouble with? If the latter, would you mind sharing the website URL with me? I'd love to test it out on my end and see if I get the same results.

• anna212
    anna212
    Community Member

What is the difference between the companion browser extension and 1Password X?

I having a terrible time getting 1PW to save my passwords for the past month, and I wrote about it in detail here. I am using the latest version of 1PW X.

I would appreciate any help getting password saving to work again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@anna212:

1Password X is our latest version of the browser extension, designed to run entirely in the browser without the need to install the 1Password desktop app. You can read more about it here:

1Password X

The companion browser extension is our older browser extension, the one that required the 1Password app to be installed. Because 1Password X is an exclusive for 1Password subscribers, you would use the older companion browser extension if you don't have a 1Password account, for example.

But ultimately, it is up to you which one you choose: if you have a 1Password Membership, I recommend giving 1Password X a try :)

• anna212
    anna212
    Community Member

@ag_ana I am using 1Password X, and I've been having a lot of issues with it for a month. Did you see my detailed bug report that I linked to in my initial post? https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/113817/save-in-1password-not-working

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Hello again @anna212! I shared the steps to resolve the issue in the other thread you commented on. Please give those instructions a try. :)

This discussion has been closed.