Generating a password on iOS is damn painful

mbierman
mbierman
Community Member
edited April 2020 in iOS

When I am creating a new account on a website depending on how it the flow works, I am often unable to easily ask 1Password for a new password and insert it in the password field and save it to a vault. So each time I have to:
1. Copy the email address or user name.
2. Switch to 1Password.
3. Create a new login
4. Give it a name
5. Paste the user name
6. Type the url
7. Generate the password.
8. Copy the password.
9. Switch back to the browser
10. Paste the password.

Way too painful. Desktop experience is better.

How about 1Password providing a Shortcut action that exposes password generation ? Maybe it launches 1passworod right to the password generation screen? Then I can copy the result and relaunch the browser. Done.

1Password Version:7.5.1
_Extension Version:
NA
OS Version: 13.4.1
Sync Type: NA

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mbierman!

When I am creating a new account on a website depending on how it the flow works, I am often unable to easily ask 1Password for a new password and insert it in the password field and save it to a vault.

If your priority is to generate a new password, rather than entering all fields properly in your 1Password Login item from the get go, I recommend an improvement to your process. You could open 1Password, generate a new password and save it to the Passwords category. You can now copy and paste it right away on the website.

Later on, when you are ready to add the missing information, you can select this Password item and tap on Convert to Login.

• smith9
    smith9
    Community Member

Hi @ag_ana,

If I open 1 Password like you say, I don't see an option to generate a new password. Such a feature should not be so hard to find.

Thanks
    David

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@smith9:

If I open 1 Password like you say, I don't see an option to generate a new password.

What do you see? Where are you getting stuck in the process?

• smith9
    smith9
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

Do I need to go through all the steps suggested by the chap above? You made it sound like you didn’t have to.

If I go to categories like you mentioned I don’t see a generate password option. Do I have to go through adding a login via the + icon to be able to generate a password.

I was in an app on the phone that was needing me to generate a password that didn’t seem to be setup to be able to use 1Password in the password field

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@smith9:

If I go to categories like you mentioned I don’t see a generate password option. Do I have to go through adding a login via the + icon to be able to generate a password.

That's correct: once you are in the Categories section, you can tap on the "+" button at the top, and select Password in the menu that appears. You can create a password directly that way, without having to create a Login item :+1:

• FredV
    FredV
    Community Member

To revise a password on an IOS device, I prefer to use my iPad. By using its split screen capability, you can easily copy and paste data (or drag the data) from 1password to the other displayed app.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the suggestion @FredV! I am using the opportunity to link to the relevant section of the documentation in case someone else is interested:

Drag and drop to fill in other apps on your iPad

This discussion has been closed.