To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Merging vaults

blatboy
blatboy
Community Member

Not quite sure which forum this really belongs in, but I am a member, so I’m just going with this.

Greetings. I’m a very long time 1Password user. About a year and a half ago I finally upgraded to the more contemporary subscription model version that works with all my bleeding edge computers and devices. I have no complaints here. I feel you all do great work.

I have many older devices/computers that were still using an older version syncing on Dropbox.

During this past year an a half, I've been rather flippant as I've added items to 1Password. On devices that could still see my "primary" vault that is syncing to Dropbox, I'd add there. On devices that couldn't see that vault, new items would end up in the "Personal" vault. "Personal" and "primary" are such similar names, I didn't even really notice... Confusing the two kind of became a little hobby of mine.

Now that fewer of my devices are able to see that older "Primary" vault I've got a bit of an issue. Many of my items I saved in the last year and a half on the "Primary" vault aren't accessible from the devices that only have the "Personal" vault. I'd like to get with the 1Password7 program and just use the "Personal" vault, my older devices be d***ed! Is there a way to merge my "Primary" and "Personal" vaults? I see the "import" option, but I am concerned if I attempt to import Primary into Personal I'll get a zillion duplicates... I have 1500+ items in each of the vaults... maybe 15% of the items are unique to either. Is the import function "smart"? Is there another way to do this that I'm not seeing?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• blatboy
    blatboy
    Community Member

addendum: Also, some items were updated.... but I'm not sure which items are newer on each of those vaults... obviously I need to keep the newest version of each item...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @blatboy! Welcome to the forum!

Is there a way to merge my "Primary" and "Personal" vaults?

There isn't currently a way to merge two vaults automatically. It might help you if you sort your items in your old Primary vault by date created or date modified though: this way, newer items will be at the top of the list, you can move just the most recent ones to your new Personal vault.

• blatboy
    blatboy
    Community Member

Ok. Thanks. Yeah. That's what I was afraid of. Being a human being and all, (which of course is what got me into this mess) I fear I'll miss something, and certainly the process will take some time. I guess I'll only have to do it once (in theory)

It seems that kind of merging capability might be a useful feature. But maybe the problem doesn't come up that much, as folks are probably more on it than I am.

thanks for the info.

• blatboy
    blatboy
    Community Member

Man. This is messy.

I found the date that I signed up for a membership. I took all items from that date on and copied them to my "Personal" vault. I deleted my "Primary" vault. I guess I tried to deal with this sometime in the past, as I had re-imported a keychain file. So, I have a lot of duplicates. When sorting by "websites with multiple items" I get 1,206 of them. Most of them are straight up duplicates, but I have no way of confidently saying all of them are.

A "find duplicates" function would be very welcome. From looking at the forums, I'm not the only one who has run into this, even if it is a result of my own error(s)

Oy

• @blatboy

Try, 1Password > Help > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords and also
    1Password > Help > Tools > Clean up Duplicate Items.

Both are very cautious, and if one thing among the two entries does not match, the tools err on the side of caution. Meaning you're left to clean up the duplicates.

• blatboy
    blatboy
    Community Member

Wow. It was there the whole time. How did I miss is? I didn't research this enough obviously. Sorry to have bothered you, and thanks so much for the info.

• blatboy
    blatboy
    Community Member

Well, that got rid of 37 of them. I still have a ways to go (understatement)

Seems most of them (697 of them dating back to 2012) are tagged from a keychain import I did in January in a failed attempt to merge the vaults... and I THINK they're all duplicates, and the source of the issue. I may throw caution in the wind and just nuke anything with that tag. There's no way, outside of my eyeballs and a scroll wheel, to do see if any of them had been updated. I do wish there was a smarter way, but this was my fault.

• blatboy
    blatboy
    Community Member

Well. This is what I get for being inpatient.

I started scrolling through making sure all the tagged items from the import were actually duplicates. I did find a few that weren't and I stripped the tag off of it so that it wouldn't be deleted later.

I made it to about halfway through 2014 (starting at 2012) and thought, "hm, maybe if I just strip the tag from all those items, than I can use the 'Clean up duplicate items' again". I was having a hard time figuring out how to do that. I found this: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/38956/any-way-to-delete-a-tag-from-all-items and I understood it to be that if you just hit delete on the tag itself in the sidebar to the left (right click) it would strip the tag from the items. Well, it seems that deleted all the tagged items. There is no undo for that, so I guess I'm stuck with it and I don't know if some of those tagged items were the most recent.

Not a good feeling.

Nothing to do at this point but go forward and wait for the ramifications, if any, to present themselves.

• blatboy
    blatboy
    Community Member

Can't seem to search by tag in the trash either... or by time that it was put in the trash so that I could undo it...

• blatboy
    blatboy
    Community Member

I stand corrected. they weren't deleted. My mad plan did not work though. It's not seeing them as duplicates. Now the ones that had the tagged stripped were modified today. So, yeah, that completely gets things messy as I now will have a much more difficult time discerning which version is actually the most recent. Oh if I could only undo that haha. Story of my life. Let this be a warning. Don't do what I did.

Oy.

• blatboy
    blatboy
    Community Member

I ended up deleting anything that was modified today. Hopefully this'll all come out in the wash, and if I end up having a few passwords I have to reset, I guess it's not the end of the world.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@blatboy:

Everything that you moved to the Trash will also be there later on unless you manually empty the trash. So if you find out later on that you deleted something by mistake, you will always be able to recover it from there.

• blatboy
    blatboy
    Community Member

Ah. I was wondering about that. The thought crossed my mind. I'm glad there is no automatic trash emptying. I appreciate the info.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.