1Password compeltely exits/quits when locked

thejewdude
thejewdude
Community Member
edited May 2020 in 1Password 7 for Windows

Hi, I recently updated to 7.4 and noticed that whenever the app is locked, either manually, or by locking windows, the app completely exits. The icon disappears from the tray and the shortcuts don't work. I have to restart the app from the start menu and re-enter my master password.
I tried re-installing the app and restarting windows but that didn't seem to help.

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10 1909
Sync Type: 1password

Comments

• Any sort of anti-virus or other security software running on this PC, @thejewdude? The way 7.4 works is that when you lock, the main UI process is quit and a different background process is started so that the next time you summon 1Password, you can unlock and the main UI process starts again. That's a simplified view, but it covers the gist. It sounds to me like the main UI process is quitting as it should, but that background process isn't able to start. An AV could be the cause there.

• thejewdude
    thejewdude
    Community Member

I just have the standard windows AV, not sure what they’re calling it these days. Windows security maybe?

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @thejewdude,

Could you please try rebooting into Safe Mode with Networking and see how 1Password behaves in there? Does the issue remain in Safe Mode?

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• thejewdude
    thejewdude
    Community Member

Sure thing I’ll give it a try and keep you guys updated!

• thejewdude
    thejewdude
    Community Member

So I booted into safe mode but the app still quits as soon as I lock it.
    I booted into safe mode with networking. I started 1Pass and unlocked it with my password. When I clicked the X it minimized to the tray as expected. But as soon as I locked the app, it quit completely and disappeared from the tray.

• I was actually just having a chat with our development team about some tangentially related stuff that's coming to beta Soon (tm) and based on that I think the best thing to do right now is take a peek at some logs and try to confirm we're barking up the right tree. It really really sounds like a process not starting when it should, but there's a non-zero chance there's a silent crash or something. Absent an obvious source of interference this looks internal so hopefully logs will give us some more actionable clues. To that end, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your PC:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com and include a link to this thread in the body of the email so that if it's not me that sees it first, the person taking a look will know what's up.

If you can drop a little note here when you've sent it, that would be great too. That way, if I'm working through the forum at the time, I'll see your note and can go hunt down the logs. Thanks! :chuffed:

• thejewdude
    thejewdude
    Community Member

@bundtkate I just sent in my diagnostic report. [#WVL-81681-625]
    fwiw it looks like 1pass is unable to create the new process when I lock the app.

• Thanks, @thejewdude, much appreciated! I have some potentially good news as well – while I was off trying to get the cat that wandered into my house this weekend back to his owner this morning, one of our developers put together a fix that's looking promising. My understanding is he's waiting on a few confirmations before having others try it out, but I'll be sure to add your report to the issue so he can get in touch if the trend holds. :+1:

• thejewdude
    thejewdude
    Community Member

That’s awesome thanks!

• No problem at all! I don't want to get too excited as that's how I jinx myself, but I've got my fingers crossed. 🤞

• lorlucignano
    lorlucignano
    Community Member

Hi, I'm experiencing the same problem. The last log line is
    opw_app::app_lock:21 > opw-app\src\os\mod.rs:174 CreateProcessW (error code 193: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.)

App version :7.4.767, build:767

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 10.0.18363, Build 18363, Hotfix(s) Installed:KB4552931 KB4503308 KB4515383 KB4515530 KB4516115 KB4517245 KB4520390 KB4521863 KB4524569 KB4528759 KB4537759 KB4538674 KB4541302 KB4541338 KB4552152 KB4556799

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @lorlucignano,

Sorry for these troubles!

Please send us a diagnostics report, as Kate described here. We are investigating this issue right now and this info will be really helpful.

Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• Azeveco
    Azeveco
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

I'm having the same problem and this has been happening since the last update I think. I wasn't sure about what was making my 1Password end its proccess, so I came here to post about it and found this thread.

I tried to reproduce by locking it and... 1Password was gone.

Just tried to upload my DIagnostics here, but I keep getting the message that the format is not allowed. Tried with bith the zip and the file inside it, so I uploaded it to Google Drive. Here's the link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/17-zoVIVwa2_ZJtk6bH1-4zEDOn41auqI/view?usp=sharing

I'm also sending it to the e-mail that @bundtkate provided. Here´s the support ID: [#LJK-36153-422]

Waiting for a reply about it and if you can, give us an estimate of when it will be fixed.

Thanks!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Azeveco:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your diagnostics report in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: LJK-36153-422

• camcima
    camcima
    Community Member

I think it might have to do with a space character in the path to the 1Password folder.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

@camcima: We are investigating this issue right now, so thank you for chipping in. You may be on to something, so I will make sure to pass it along to our team. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

Also seeing this issue. Diagnostics submitted per above.

• camcima
    camcima
    Community Member

@plttn Do you have a space character in the path to 1password.exe?

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

Indeed I do.

Just spitballing here, if I had to guess, all testing on this was done on Windows devices with either old user account names, or user account names that had been set up using MS accounts so that the user names would be the truncated account email, so there wasn't a space in the path.

• awang
    awang
    Community Member

New to the Forum and relived that others are having same issue as I am. I really hope they fix this issue.

• We are still investigating this issue right now, but one of our developers put together a fix that is currently undergoing testing!

• awang
    awang
    Community Member

Support, do we know when this will be fixed?

• @awang

I can't make any specific commitments, other than to say that it is on the radar. Sorry I don't have further information I can share. Fingers crossed we can get a fix out soon.

Ben

• awang
    awang
    Community Member

Thanks @Ben

• Azeveco
    Azeveco
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

@Ben

@Blake said that it was under investigation and a developer managed to create a fix that was being tested. I would like to know the progress about that, because if you say that "it is on the radar" then this makes me think about one of two options:

• There was never an investigation, fix and testing or
    • There was a fix, it was tested, but 1Password team decided to not give priority and sent this to the backlog.

Could you please comemnt anything about the state of this issue? Okay, you don't have any info or date to release the fix, but is it in backlog or is it still being investigated and fixes are being made to test? I would like to know in which "Trello column" this fix currently is.

• Our intention is to include what we believe will be the fix in the next beta release, but I can't say for sure that'll be the ultimate resolution until it has been beta tested.

Ben

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

@Azeveco just an FYI: the current beta build has the fix for this (as a customer who was testing said fix [shoutout Blake]).

• Thanks for letting us know that fixed it for you @plttn. Fingers crossed the rest of the reports from beta testers concur.

Ben

• Hi guys,

We have just shipped 1Password 7.6 Beta 1 for Windows with a few fixes that we believe will address many of the reports here.

If possible, we'd love for you to give that beta update a try and see if it fixes your issue. Here's how to enable the beta updates: https://support.1password.com/betas/

@Azeveco, the fix took a while because it was not reproducible nor was it consistent across the few various reports we got. When we tried to make some adjustments to test and narrow down the cause, some customers wrote back initially saying the issue was fixed but turned out that after a few days, the issue came back; which meant that the issue was not where we originally thought. We had a customer tested about a dozen of different private builds with various adjustments to help us track down where this issue was; all of this takes time because there was no easy way to bring up the issue quicker, it had something to do with long-term running of 1Password process, sleep, hibernation or so on (at least for one fix). Unfortunately, some fixes revealed that while the symptoms were identical, we found out there were a few different causes that was each due to specific PC setups. Hopefully, this update will address all of them.

• Azeveco
    Azeveco
    Community Member

That is great! Thanks for the report.

I want to make clear that I wasn't complaining, I just got confused about the status of the task.

I'll make sure to try this beta as soon as possible. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.