Still can't update 1Password7 on Mac

alexmidd
alexmidd
Community Member

Hi

I have been having a problem with the updating of 1_Password7 on my iMac. It notifies me via the App Store that an update is available, halfway through it stops, telling me I have to close down 1Password7 before it can continue and to click "Continue" so that it can close it down and proceed. However it always fails and says it can't update it. I have closed down 1Password7 and it no longer appears in the running apps list (so I can't force quit it) and I have even restarted the Mac so that everything is clear but it still fails to update. What can I do to fix this please?

Thanks

1Password Version: 7.4.4
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.4
Sync Type: 1Password Account

Comments

• Hi @alexmidd

This can happen if Safari is 'hanging on' to our extension. I'm sorry to hear you're having difficulty getting updated. Please try this:

1. Quit Safari
    2. Open and then quit 1Password completely — ⌘⌥⌃Q (Command Option Control Q)
    3. Drag 1Password to the Trash, but DO NOT use a "cleaner" app to remove 1Password if you have one (MacKeeper, CleanMyMac, AppZapper, etc)
    4. Empty the Trash
    5. Restart your Mac
    6. Install 1Password from our website: Download for Mac (or from the App Store if preferred)
    7. Open 1Password
    8. Make sure the extension is shown and enabled in Safari under Preferences > Extensions (do not click "More Extensions")
    9. Verify that you're able to use the extension to fill logins

Let me know how it turns out. :)

Ben

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member

Hi Ben

Thanks for your reply. I'm just following your instructions now. I will update once all is done.

Thanks

Alex

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member

OK, I've done all that, but have got stuck at item 8. When I go into Preferences there is no "Extensions" tab. There is a "Browsers" tab with "Always keep 1_Password 7 Extension Helper running" ticked. Not sure where else to try. When I installed the application it did ask if I wanted to install extensions, which it did for Firefox (my default browser) but it wouldn't install for Chrome as it said I needed to download Chrome, although I already have it on my system. For Safari it said the extension is included in the app and I tried it in Safari and it worked OK, i.e. it filled in login details for a sign-in. I assume this means it has all worked OK? The App Store is no longer asking me to update it so that would suggest all is OK.

Thanks for your help.

Alex

• Sorry for the confusion @alexmidd. Step 8 is done within the Safari app, not the 1Password app. The preference is in Safari's preferences. If you don't intend to use Safari, or Safari is already working anyway, that step is unnecessary. :)

Ben

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member

OK, thanks for that Ben. I'll have a look later but it seems to working fine now.

Thanks very much.

Alex

• Excellent. Glad to hear it is working. If there is anything else we can do, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.