"show password" command not always shows the password using the 1Password app in the app bar on top

wizard86pz
wizard86pz
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 3 – 7 for Mac

Hi all,
as explained in the thread title, "show password" command doesn't always show the password using the 1Password app in the app bar on top.

It works for the password field of a log-in type element of my vault, but when I have another password in the same element (log-in type), I cannot show the password saved using the command.

Example: my log-in item for 1Password account does contain two info labeled as password: the password and the secret key. The password is grouped with my username-email so 1Password knows that must use that couple of info for autofilling. And there are never problem to show my 1Password password. But I cannot show/see in clear text the secret key, a string labeled as "password" in the same item.

This is happening only from the app bar on top of macOS. Opening the screen of the desktop app, I can show the password with no issues.

The command to see the password with enlarged chars does work correctly.

Another (probable) side effect is that while I ask to show the "password" value in clear text, it works. But when I do the same on the "secret key" value, the "password" value appears again.

1Password Version: 7.6.BETA-0 (70600000)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS stable, 10.15.5 (19F96)
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @wizard86pz!

I could not reproduce this issue in 1Password mini on my Mac, so I wonder if I followed a different process. Are you able to consistently reproduce this? If you are, can you please send us step-by-step instructions to make this happen, so we can test them? Thank you!

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

Hi,
    yes, I can consistently reproduce it. Here the steps:
    1. run the macOS app in background, having the app icon on top bar
    2. press on the icon to unlock 1password app, I use the fingerprint and it works
    3. search for an item where you have at least two fields labeled as password
    4. press on the little arrow symbol near the password, and select the "show" command
    5. the password is correctly shown, now "hide" it
    6. go to ANOTHER field labeled as password, for the same item
    7. press on the little arrow symbol near the password, and select the "show" command
    8. nothing happens to me, and sometimes, doing that, I see again the previous password shown in the past field.

Here a video with the steps: https://mega.nz/file/5A5z2ZYa#vgeWqvc0EizB0imK8hypGVFBRZ882UEPhF7X8rSk13E

• @wizard86pz,

This appears to have already been fixed and should be part of 7.6.BETA-1.

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Great @rudy, thanks for feedback. Sorry but I have not found any point in the net, publicly accessible, for you bug tracer, so I cannot know what is known and already fixed by dev team. I think there is no publicly accessible point :)

Thanks.

P.s.: gonna remove the media from the link.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@wizard86pz:

You can see our public changelog here ;)

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

Yes Ana, I know right that link ;) But I cannot see what is already fixed in the coming release, like the beta 1 as mentioned by rudy. I mean, the issue of this thread is known, fixed and embedded in the beta 1 build, but these all are info not obtainable publicly. Right?

• @wizard86pz,

Correct, they are not.

• wizard86pz
    wizard86pz
    Community Member

I confirm is fixed in 7.6.BETA-1. Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.