1Password on Edge Requires Multiple CTRL+Backslash to Fill In Details?

Options

Using 1Password 7.4.7.67 on Windows with Local Archive and the new Chromium Edge. When I try to have 1password enter a password for me, if it's the first time I'm opening it, it will pop up the password entry screen and then disappear after I enter the password. I have to click (or shortcut) again for it to actually paste in the details.

This only happens the first time, but I don't recall it happening previously (after I'd enter the password, it would fill in without requiring another shortcut or click). It's certainly not the end of the world, but it's happening on multiple machines and is slightly annoying (though at least it works more consistently than the Edge Legacy plugin).

Is this the expected way it should work on Chromium Edge?

1Password Version: 7.4.7.67
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Local

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @macros,

Thank you for reporting this! This is indeed really strange and I am not able to reproduce it on my side.

Could you please try to use 1Password extension in a different browser on your computer? Do you see the same issue there?

I just tried to fill my credentials in Chromium Edge and Chrome on my PC and 1Password extension fills my credentials after unlocking without any hiccups.

Thanks!

++
    Greg

• macros
    macros
    Community Member
    Options

@Greg - for a test, I have both a Surface Pro and Desktop in front of me. The behavior happens on both Chromium Edge and regular Chrome (the only two browsers I have installed on the machine) on both machines. The first time I use CTRL+\ the 1Password authentication box pops up and I unlock it, but then it does nothing. The second time (since it's unlocked), the password details are entered as they should be and 1Password works as it should until the account login times out, etc.

Note that while I'm using the keyboard shortcut, the same thing happens if I manually click the extension button. I know this happens on another system I have as well, though I can't confirm it happens on both as I exclusively use Chromium Edge on that one.

• This is an issue we've actually done a fair bit of work on recently, @macros. I was running into it in earlier 7.4 versions and it was fixed for me internally a few months ago. I want to say that those changes are likely in your app as well, but in digging through the various changes made here it does look like there could still be an edge case out there when your browser runs for an extended period. As such, I'd like you to give something a try for me. Next time you see 1Password locked when you're trying to fill with Ctrl + \, could you skip unlocking (just press Esc to dismiss mini – you'll need to Esc twice if you use Hello)? After that, restart your browser, then try again and let me know if filling works properly after unlocking when you do so. I'm not at all suggesting this is the way it should work (it's not), but if it does work under those circumstances, that will tell me what this issue is so I can share something a bit more actionable with our development team. Thanks!

• macros
    macros
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate - I just tried what you suggested, when 1password mini opened, I hit Esc and then closed my browser. When I reopened the browser and tried again it DID work correctly. This was on my personal laptop...

In an effort to try and be helpful, I tried another desktop machine that I have at home (so this is the 4th machine with the issue, yeah...I've got too many systems). I rebooted this machine and tried the shortcut and it had the incorrect behavior (where I need to hit it twice). I rebooted the machine again and tried to open it but ESC'ed out of mini, closed the browser, and then tried again....it still didn't work right.

One side note, each time it fails after unlock my cursor gets a "working" circle on it for a second or two about 3 or so seconds after I unlock through mini. This shows up consistently on every machine. I'm not certain it's related, but it seems too consistent to be coincidental.

I'll try this again on my other work machines over the weekend as well and post back. If there's anything else you'd like me to try, please let me know. Truly appreciate your help on trying to resolve this!

• Thanks so much for giving it a go, @macros! I think this probably means you're hitting the edge case we already know about. In short, what happens is that your browser disconnects from 1Password after running for a time and needs to be restarted (or filling needs to be triggered again) before that connection can be re-established. It should re-establish simply because you unlocked, but that's not happening right now.

I'd wager on the desktop machine you tried where it didn't seem to work that way, that might have been the result of testing so shortly after reboot. There is a ton that happens when you first unlock 1Password from actually starting up to syncing to connecting to your browser and so on. We've sped this process up a lot in 7.4, but your app is still doing a lot of work at that time. Depending on a variety of factors ranging from hardware to internet connection to how many apps you have running on boot that first fill can range from "a bit slow" to "takes long enough you think it's broken". We see less of the latter these days, but it can still happen. All the same, though, let's not place blame without evidence. Two things to try on that machine (whenever you get a chance – no rush):

1. Repeat the same test you did on the laptop the next time this happens organically on the desktop (so don't reboot right before) and see if behavior is the same.
    2. Do the reboot test you did before except this time the first time you fill wait without doing anything else until you feel uncomfortable. See if it does fill eventually. Anything more than 5 seconds and I'd say you can declare it broken unless this system is particularly underpowered or startup load on that PC is particularly high. You may not be able to put a number on it, but you probably have a feel for how quick that machine generally operates on first boot so trust your own judgment on what's reasonable. Your feelings are likely accurate.

Let me know what you find. In the meantime, I'll pass along what we've already learned. I think we missed a connection between the few cases we've seen of this and the issue we left in the update where we (mostly) fixed this issue so I want to make sure I close that loop so our development team can take a closer look at it, hopefully sometime next week. :+1:

• macros
    macros
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate Sounds good. The desktop I tried on (with the reboots) is a relatively beefy machine. i7-6700k w/ 32GB of RAM and dual NVME's in a raid1 array. It's a Plex server that I also use for some remote testing. But I'll try the suggestions you have as well and report back after the weekend.

• Sounds great, thanks, @macros! And yea, I'd expect that to do alright absent some pretty heavy startup load. My primary machine is my gaming rig with half of that RAM and a probably less beefy CPU (Ryzen 5 3600) and I rarely see issues on boot. That said, 1Password is about the only thing that launches on startup for me and I usually don't end up unlocking 1Password right away, so who knows. A bit more startup load and a small change in habits to unlock early and maybe I start seeing trouble. That's why I tend to rely on the machine's owner's instincts. You know your computer and your habits best and will undoubtedly be the best judge of what's reasonable and what isn't. I find that feeling trustworthy enough to skip piddling over what the machine is capable of and simply trust your judgment. :chuffed:

• macros
    macros
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate The results are in and they are....mixed. The escaping out did definitely help on one of my machines.
    1. Surface Pro 6 - Esc. out helped consistently. (This was the machine I used most over the weekend.) Primary Browser was Microsoft Edge Chromium.
    2. Surface Pro 4 - Did not work at all. The ESC made no difference. Used this one all day today. Primary Browser was Google Chrome.
    3. Workstation - Helped a couple of times, but not consistently. Sorry I didn't track my usage, I used this one for at at least 4 hours or so randomly throughout the weekend and today. I know it worked earlier, but the few times I tried today made no difference. But I tested a couple of times in the past few minutes with no luck. Mix of Chrome and Edge on this one.
    4. Plex Server - Tried twice, no dice either time. I left this one for 5 minutes each time after unlocking and the credentials never made it in. Edge Chromium was the browser here.

Reboots made no difference in my experience. I found that if I lock 1Password by using the taskbar icon, I can recreate the issue at will...which helps a bit rather than waiting for it to time out.

I did come across one other thing. My workstation and Surface Pro 6 both have Windows Hello on them. The Plex Server and SP4 don't. If I enter my Hello PIN, 1Password works consistently (may times I ESC out the Hello prompt and enter my 1Password password so I didn't notice this). But if I use the PIN, it works. If I then log out of the site, lock 1Password, close the browser, and try again without using the Hello prompt, it doesn't work. Tried this 4 times with the exact same results each time.

• GotMilk4
    GotMilk4
    Community Member
    Options

Jumping in here to report that I have the same issue as @macros, but on Firefox. Using Ctrl+\ brings up Mini as expected, but after filling in my master password nothing happens (with the same "working circle" they describe about two or three seconds after unlocking). A second Ctrl+\ fills the password correctly.

I'm on:
    Windows 10 Build 1909
    Firefox 76.0.1
    1Password 7.4.767
    1Password Extension 4.7.5.90

I did try the below suggestion from @bundtkate:

Next time you see 1Password locked when you're trying to fill with Ctrl + \, could you skip unlocking (just press Esc to dismiss mini – you'll need to Esc twice if you use Hello)? After that, restart your browser, then try again and let me know if filling works properly after unlocking when you do so.

Unlike @macros, this doesn't change anything and 1Password continues to fail to autofill anything on the first attempt. Any subsequent attempts do succeed.

Anything I should try to help narrow this down?

• First off, @GotMilk4, I saw your comment got posted multiple times so I went ahead and deleted the extras. I hope you don't mind – I suspect your comment got caught in the spam queue and then, in a stroke of irony, ended up getting spammy when released it through no fault of your own. :wink:

For now, I don't think either you or @macros can try anything more until our development team is able to do some digging into this. I had to skip my rounds nagging about issues today due to a few more meetings and housekeeping I had to get through than normal, but I saw this was one they did dive into a bit today and they have a few theories that make it look like the issue might be somewhat different for different folks. I'd like to have a chance to sit down with them and see what they need before I just go off and ask y'all for stuff that might not help.

What almost certainly will help is a diagnostics report from each of you. If you could both send one over to us, that would be great:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Include a link to this thread and your forum username in the body of the email so I know which diagnostics belongs to who and just in case someone else finds them before I do they'll know what's up. If you drop a quick line that you've sent them here, that will help me hunt them down as well. I'll let y'all know what I find out as well. :+1:

• BradleyUffner
    BradleyUffner
    Community Member
    edited June 2020
    Options

I've been having this same issue on chrome for several weeks now too.

(diagnostic report sent)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@BradleyUffner:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: We will take a look at your diagnostics report and get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: CYY-68827-284

• macros
    macros
    Community Member
    Options

@bundtkate Sent in my diagnostics from 4 machines, still missing 1 as it's been a crazy week. The one that is missing is the one where the ESC out actually seemed to help.

I can also confirm that on a third machine now that uses Windows Hello, entering in the hello password prevents the issue from happening. BUT esc out of the Hello prompt and entering in my password in the prompt will typically cause the no entry issue.

• MikeT
    Options

@macros, thanks for reporting that. I believe I was able to reproduce the Hello glitch as well. If I cancel Hello, hit enter to bring up Hello, unlock, it doesn't direct-fill either.

If I unlock with just the master password, it just brings up 1Password mini with no sites matching.

We'll see what's going on.

This discussion has been closed.