1Password 7 extension for Microsoft Edge on Mac

2»

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Tezcatlipoca:

Is there no way to use the 1Password Chrome extension on Chromium Edge without first installing Chrome or manually creating the Chrome NativeMessagingHosts folder?

I am not aware of a way to do this without creating the folder manually I am afraid.

• mishail
    mishail
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

Looks like 7.5 has broken that functionality

• 1Password 7 Version 7.5 (70500003) 1Password Store
    • Microsoft Edge Version 83.0.478.18 (Official build) Beta (64-bit)

P.S. or maybe a new beta build of Edge itself. Copying .json to NativeMessagingHosts doesn't help, and, for some reason, everything was working before even without that copying

• mishail
    mishail
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

Updating to 1Password 7 Version 7.5.1.BETA-0 (70501000) seems to help

• Ben
    Ben
    edited May 2020

Support for Edge beta is a beta-only feature, so you'd need to be on a beta build for this to work. We try to follow up each stable release with a beta release fairly quickly. But if you update to the stable release it will break integration with the beta Edge.

Ben

• jasonmp85
    jasonmp85
    Community Member

Well I wrote a comment but when I hit "Post As…" and registered it deleted it. Fantastic.

I'm not typing it all again, but the gist is: what the hell you all? This browser's been out for a while now, and the experience here is miserable. I use Edge at work, but use the Mac App Store to install 1pw. I am a software developer and am not going to run a bunch of beta software on my machine anyways.

I guess the "stable" option now is to run 1Password X, even though I already also have the native app installed, which I use to copy-paste things to non-browser places?

Congrats on the CLI hitting 1.0, I guess? Yet a major company's browser seems a little more pressing, maybe?

• rudy
    edited June 2020

@jasonmp85,

I'm not sure i follow, Edge support for 1Password (desktop app required) was added in 1Password for Mac 7.4.2 per https://app-updates.agilebits.com/product_history/OPM7#v70402004

• jasonmp85
    jasonmp85
    Community Member

I mean, prima facie, that would be odd given that this thread discusses issues with said support as late as a month ago…

To go a step further, I visited https://1password.com/downloads/mac/ at the suggestion of 1Password 7 when it did not recognize my browser. Looking at the list of extensions, I see the following:

I see an Edge icon, so that seems promising, yet I realize this section is for 1Password X only. A bit further down the page…

OK, I'd like to use one of these, but Edge isn't listed.

I can install the extension from the Chrome store, but it is non-functional, as 1Password rejects Edge as an unrecognized browser.

Summary (?)

I'd like to (a) use a stable, public version of edge with (b) an extension which talks to the native 1Password 7 app on my Mac, as installed from the Mac App Store (i.e. also stable).

Am I missing something? I don't see how to do this directly, and the instructions for hacking around it with e.g. the Chrome extension do not (as far as I understand) apply to stable releases.

Thanks.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jasonmp85:

I can install the extension from the Chrome store, but it is non-functional, as 1Password rejects Edge as an unrecognized browser.

This is a separate issue then. What version of the 1Password for Mac app are you running, and what version of the Edge browser?

• jasonmp85
    jasonmp85
    Community Member

For 1PW:

1Password 7
    Version 7.5 (70500002)
    Mac App Store

For Edge:

Microsoft Edge

Version 83.0.478.45 (Official build) (64-bit)

Let me know the steps I should try…

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jasonmp85:

Thank you for the confirmation! I have just tested it here and I was able to install the 1Password extension in the Edge browser Version 83.0.478.45 (Official build) (64-bit), and 1Password for Mac version 7.5:

So it should definitely work for you too. I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• chrisdoucette
    chrisdoucette
    Community Member

I have the same issue. I just switched back to a Macbook from a Surface yesterday. I have everything setup on Edge so really don't want to go back to Chrome.

I can install the extension like you did, @ag_ana, but when I press ⌘ + \, I get this:

I have rebooted the Mac, restarted Edge, and restarted 1Password. No dice.

Works fine in Safari.

Sending my diagnostics to support now.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@chrisdoucette:

What version of the 1Password browser extension have you installed? From your screenshot, it looks like you might have installed 1Password X, while I installed the 1Password extension (desktop app required).

• chrisdoucette
    chrisdoucette
    Community Member

Definitely installed the Chrome regular extension.

• chrisdoucette
    chrisdoucette
    Community Member

Got it resolved with Tom on email support (shout out to the fast response from my pirate hero! I was going crazy without 1Password...) when I submitted my Diagnostics.

New Mac so I had never installed Chrome, only Edge. The extension didn't install properly due to that.

Steps to Fix

1. Uninstall Chrome extension
    2. Open Terminal
    3. Type the following command: mkdir -p ~/Library/Application\ Support/Google/Chrome
    4. Reinstall Chrome extension
    5. Profit
  • jasonmp85
    jasonmp85
    Community Member

Gah, I saw instructions similar to those in [https://support.1password.com/could-not-connect/](this support article), but other places mentioning unrecognized browsers, installing the Chrome extension as a workaround, etc. made me believe these were out-of-date and wouldn't work.

I'm a pretty meticulous person, and—you know—also a computer programmer. Whatever the current workflow is, it's… not great. It would probably be a good idea if—once users arrive at the dialog @chrisdoucette shared—there were a straightforward and complete set of directions I'd end up at after clicking "Add 1Password to Microsoft Edge".

As it stands, you end up on the extensions page and the only mention of Edge is for the 1Password X variant. Yes, installing the Chrome extension is a bit of a weird workaround, but if it's possible there should probably be some complete support article linked (who knows, maybe in a section footnote) near the 1Password native extension section on that page.

Thanks, all; I'll try it on my work laptop within the hour and post back.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jasonmp85:

Thanks, all; I'll try it on my work laptop within the hour and post back.

Sounds good! Please let us know how it goes :+1:

• jasonmp85
    jasonmp85
    Community Member

"Within the hour" is a questionable promise for me have to made these days…

It works now. I do think this process is (a) tedious for most users and (b) completely undiscoverable if you follow the happy path 1Password sets out for you when it doesn't recognize a browser.

No clue what can be done for this, but it seems like some improvement would help users be successful.

On a different note: how do I edit my previous post? I screwed up the Markdown for one of the links and now it's a lot less useful for people who find it later.

• @jasonmp85

Thanks for the feedback on this. I agree, we can do better. We're in a bit of a transition period with the extensions right now, and so hopefully once the dust settles from that we can focus on making the happy path happier. After a timeout it isn't possible to edit posts further, but I'll see what I can do to fix the markdown.

Thanks again!

Ben

• Gigabit
    Gigabit
    Community Member

Hi,

I've been able to get this working.

I've never had Chrome installed so I followed the advice somebody else posted but alas, it did not work.

I had to ensure I'd updated to the latest beta of 1Password, then restarting Edge seemed to get it working.

• Thanks for sharing your experience with this, @Gigabit. :+1:

Ben

• peterjuras
    peterjuras
    Community Member

Hi,

I'm currently using the 1Password X extension with Edge from the MS store with a beta version of 1Password for Mac and Windows (on a different PC).

For both computers it worked for a long while, the extension integrations worked at least on Mac - but since ~ 2-3 weeks they are not integrated anymore. I have lost overview of what 1Password X is, what the beta versions for each is, and which extension or combination I'm supposed to use.

I'm telling you this because I consider myself a tech-affine user and I'm the administrator for our startup so I decide which software gets used in our team. In the last few weeks I now have to type a very long master password > 10 times a day - where as I could previously unlock by fingerprint. I'm starting to get really annoyed by 1Password and I hope that not only the transition period will go smoothly but that you also provide clear and easy instructions afterwards on how to get Edge up and running - integrated with any sort of easier unlocking mechanism.

Best regards,
    Peter

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@peterjuras - 1Password X is not what was being discussed initially in this thread, in case anyone reading this is confused. 1Password X has never had the ability to unlock via Touch ID because it's not a native app; it runs only in the browser and communicates directly with the 1password.com servers. The only way Touch ID unlock has been possible up to now is via a beta feature called Desktop App Integration. To enable it, you need to be running both the beta of 1Password for Mac and the beta of 1Password X. You also need to not have any local (non-1Password.com) vaults, and you need to sign into every account in 1Password X that you're signed into in 1Password for Mac. That should still be the case, and it should still work. I say "should," however, because this remains a beta feature for now. Does your setup meet all of the above conditions?

• peterjuras
    peterjuras
    Community Member

Yes, I know that I am mixing 1Password X and the other 1Password extension, but the normal extension can't be found in the store.

I just wanted to share my general frustration because I don't see the purpose of having two extensions in the first place. The 1Password X Beta extension is also not available in the Edge extension store for some reason.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@peterjuras:

Thank you for the feedback! In the future, we would like to minimize the differences and the confusion between the extensions, but for now 1Password X is quite "young", so we feel it is still better to keep the traditional extension and the new extension separate.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@peterjuras - the Edge extension store is relatively new, and its requirements are different than the Chrome Web Store. If you want to install 1Password X beta to work with DAI, you'll need to use the Chrome Web Store version. You can find it here: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/1password-x-beta-–-passwo/khgocmkkpikpnmmkgmdnfckapcdkgfaf - but you will have to turn on the ability to install Chrome extensions in Edge first.

• zendnez
    zendnez
    Community Member

I ran into the problem described earlier in this thread in which installing 1Password (desktop extension required) on the Mac version of Edge resulted in the "unsupported browser" error. As with the previous post, the issue was that I have never installed Chrome on this machine. Uninstalling the extension, manually creating the folder " ~/Library/Application Support/Google/Chrome" and re-installing the extension worked.

I was prompted by 1Password (in the Mac menu bar) to install 1Password from the Chrome store. I don't think 1Password should be prompting users to install this extension until this issue is somehow addressed.

Thanks.

• Thanks for the feedback, @zendnez. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.