Firefox 4 Beta

I was just wondering, is Firefox 4 (beta) is going to be supported? It just came out, and I'm testing the beta, but the add-on can't be enabled. It was in 3.7a.

Thanks.

Comments

• dragonfly
    edited December 1969
    Thanks for the reply. I'm using a trial version, but I hope that doesn't make a difference on the installation.

I like the new Firefox 4 even though it's in beta. I think they finally fixed some of the biggest problems, like memory leaks and 100% CPU usage. But we'll see what makes it to the final version.

If Safari supported the add-ons that Firefox does, I would use it. Of course, I'm sure Apple would limit that too like it does on the iPhone. ;)
  • dragonfly
    edited December 1969
    Stu,

Thanks for the head's up. I'll be sure to check that out. I have Safari and use it for a few limited sites, but I think I mostly abounded it back in version 2. 1P does work perfectly in Safari 5.

I agree; I don't see Apple really controlling what runs on a Mac. Still, I've been a Mac user since 1988, so I've gotten used to better than some of their current moves.

I think my main iTunes/App Store issue is that when Apple yanks an app you've already paid for, they won't refund your money. I had that happen recently, and they yanked it less than a week after my purchasing it. GRRR Kind of shocking based on Apple's other policies. I know it says "All sales final," but I wasn't expecting to rent the software!
  • MikeT
    edited December 1969
    dragonfly wrote:
    Stu,

Thanks for the head's up. I'll be sure to check that out. I have Safari and use it for a few limited sites, but I think I mostly abounded it back in version 2. 1P does work perfectly in Safari 5.

I agree; I don't see Apple really controlling what runs on a Mac. Still, I've been a Mac user since 1988, so I've gotten used to better than some of their current moves.

I think my main iTunes/App Store issue is that when Apple yanks an app you've already paid for, they won't refund your money. I had that happen recently, and they yanked it less than a week after my purchasing it. GRRR Kind of shocking based on Apple's other policies. I know it says "All sales final," but I wasn't expecting to rent the software!

Have you actually contacted iTunes support about refunds? They do provide refunds after you contact them. I know some people who was in the same situation as you and iTunes support did refund them.
  • dragonfly
    edited December 1969
    I did. Their reply was "All sales are final." They wouldn't discuss it beyond that. Rather bad customer service since we're talking about 99 cents! So, I'll still buy Macs and Apple OS and iPhone apps all because I have to, but my music purchases now come from Amazon. lol
  • dragonfly
    edited December 1969
    Using the Add-on Compatibility Reporter add-on, I was able to get 1Password to work with Firefox 4 beta. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/15003/

So, as far as I can tell, 1Password works perfectly with the latest version. I'm not sure how you make it official with Mozilla, but it's working. (party)
  • dragonfly
    edited December 1969
    Woohoo! I was just excited to find a working answer. :)
  • skylarp
    skylarp
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    I am also running Firefox 4 beta 1 with the extension enabled, and it is working like a charm. The only downside is the toolbar icon, which is not super attractive due to the new, squared icons. Any chance we'll get an updated version soon?
  • dragonfly
    edited December 1969
    I'm sorry to report that the latest Firefox nightly build wiped out 1Password and just about every other useful add-on. :(

I like the menu better than the toolbar. I can still get the toolbar to load, but the menu is gone. Nice while it lasted though, and who knows what the next build will fix or destroy.
  • MikeT
    edited December 1969
    dragonfly wrote:
    I'm sorry to report that the latest Firefox nightly build wiped out 1Password and just about every other useful add-on. :(

I like the menu better than the toolbar. I can still get the toolbar to load, but the menu is gone. Nice while it lasted though, and who knows what the next build will fix or destroy.

You probably need to wait a few day for the compatibility checker to get updated before it can enable other addons.
  • neilio
    neilio
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    As reported above, the latest Firefox 4.0 nightlies breaks 1P in a somewhat odd way: it's possible to enable the extension and you can see the 1P toolbar, but the main toolbar icon isn't visible in the "customize toolbar" dropdown, and none of the functionality in the 1P toolbar actually works. The keyboard shortcuts are also not working.

I tried deleting and reinstalling the extension to no avail.

(Firefox 4.0b2pre 20100704 nightly, 1Password 3.2.5).
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    neilio wrote:
    As reported above, the latest Firefox 4.0 nightlies breaks 1P in a somewhat odd way: it's possible to enable the extension and you can see the 1P toolbar, but the main toolbar icon isn't visible in the "customize toolbar" dropdown, and none of the functionality in the 1P toolbar actually works. The keyboard shortcuts are also not working.

I tried deleting and reinstalling the extension to no avail.

(Firefox 4.0b2pre 20100704 nightly, 1Password 3.2.5).

Thanks for the report neilio!
  • keithslater
    edited December 1969
    Just wondering if there was any update to this. The Firefox 4 beta is live and it would be nice to have 1password back in my Firefox.
  • rob
    rob
    edited December 1969
    Just wondering if there was any update to this. The Firefox 4 beta is live and it would be nice to have 1password back in my Firefox.

Hi Keith, and welcome to the forums!

We don't officially "support" any alpha, beta or "nightly" builds of browsers but we quite often work just fine with them.

For Firefox 4, it has been reported that 1Password can be made to work by downloading the "Add-on Compatibility Reporter" from this URL and then enabling the 1Password extension:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/15003/

Hope that helps! Let us know how it turns out.
  • dteare
    edited December 1969

I'm going to try to release a new beta today that will enable Firefox 4 functionality.

skylarp wrote:
    The only downside is the toolbar icon, which is not super attractive due to the new, squared icons. Any chance we'll get an updated version soon?

We will get a new icon for Firefox 4. It will not make it into today's 1Password beta, unfortunately, as I want to get this update out asap so people can use it.
  • Streakmachine
    edited December 1969
    Sounds great! I rather have the functionality back for now and take the impact of a slightly less aesthetic button for the time being.
  • kop48
    kop48
    Community Member
    edited July 2010
    My 1Password Extension worked out of the box. To enable extensions without installing the Compat Reporter, just enable this key in about:config:
    extensions.checkCompatibility.4.0b

Source: http://lifehacker.com/5581743/how-to-bypass-firefox-40-betas-incompatible-add+on-error-and-install-extensions-anyway

Cheers,
  • jrd4849
    jrd4849
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Mac OSX 10.6.4, 1Password 3.3.0.BETA-1 (30675), Firefox 4.0b1 with compatibility extension enabled. With 1Password extension enabled FF crashes on exit every time. The error window "Firefox quit unexpectedly..." pops up. If I disable the extension for FF in 1Password preferences then FF exits normally with no errors when the program is closed. Tried a fresh profile in FF but the same thing happens. Forgot to mention that 1Password works ok while FF is running.
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    jrd4849 wrote:
    Mac OSX 10.6.4, 1Password 3.3.0.BETA-1 (30675), Firefox 4.0b1 with compatibility extension enabled. With 1Password extension enabled FF crashes on exit every time. The error window "Firefox quit unexpectedly..." pops up. If I disable the extension for FF in 1Password preferences then FF exits normally with no errors when the program is closed. Tried a fresh profile in FF but the same thing happens. Forgot to mention that 1Password works ok while FF is running.

Thanks for the report. I think it may be related to our Http Authentication window code.

Try disabling the "Show in authentication panels" checkbox in the 1Password > Preferences > Browsers window and see if that side steps the issue.
  • jrd4849
    jrd4849
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Thanks Dave. Yes that does work. No crash on closing with that box unchecked.
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    jrd4849 wrote:
    Thanks Dave. Yes that does work. No crash on closing with that box unchecked.

Thanks for the update! I was able to recreate this issue a few times too so I think we have everything we need to fix it.

Just an FYI – Firefox 4 is still in the very early beta stages and this crash could magically disappear in a future update. Since this is a moving target we will not spend too much time trying to track this down. If we can find a quick fix, great, if not, we might have to wait a bit.
  • matthewrex
    edited December 1969
    So this is a weird one. I installed the latest 1PW beta and Firefox 4 beta. The button shows up in the toolbar, but nothing happens when I click it! It actually "freezes" the toolbar for a second, and I have to click once to be able to click another button.

It's almost like the menu is there, but not visible. And clicking again is hiding the menu like it normally would, but I can't see it in the first place! Weird! :^)
  • kop48
    kop48
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    matthewrex wrote:
    So this is a weird one. I installed the latest 1PW beta and Firefox 4 beta. The button shows up in the toolbar, but nothing happens when I click it! It actually "freezes" the toolbar for a second, and I have to click once to be able to click another button.

It's almost like the menu is there, but not visible. And clicking again is hiding the menu like it normally would, but I can't see it in the first place! Weird! :^)

Does the Fill keyboard shortcut work tho?
  • fred909
    fred909
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Confirming MatthewRex's experience. Kop48, no, the fill keyboard shortcut does not work.

I'm running 1Password 3.3.0.BETA-2 of the FF plugin, 1Password Version 3.3.0.BETA-2 (build 30676), and FF Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:2.0b2pre) Gecko/20100708 Minefield/4.0b2pre.
  • kop48
    kop48
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    Have you tried running the b1 build instead?
    Have you tried disabling all other extensions?

I'm asking this because mine is running fine in the b1 build...
  • fred909
    fred909
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    How can I get the b1 version now that I've installed the latest update? Thanks.
  • kop48
    kop48
    Community Member
    edited December 1969
    http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/beta/ <- download and install again.
  • dteare
    edited December 1969
    fred909 wrote:
    I'm running 1Password 3.3.0.BETA-2 of the FF plugin, 1Password Version 3.3.0.BETA-2 (build 30676), and FF Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.6; en-US; rv:2.0b2pre) Gecko/20100708 Minefield/4.0b2pre.

It is the 4.0b2pre that is killing you; it is the nightly build and not the "stable" beta version.

Our celebration for getting things to work with 4.0 Beta 1 was short lived as the recent nightly builds made some big changes to the underlying systems and broke us. Adding support for a quickly moving target like nightly builds is very difficult so it could be some time until we get this working. For now you will need to stay with the Betas.
This discussion has been closed.