How do I solve double entries on iPhone

LeonK
LeonK
Community Member

Hi, I've read a lot now here about the double entries, because of two vaults, one of them not necessary, but I'm a bit afraid to delete one of them. I've got no double entries on the desktop/iMac, but a lot on my iPhone, and on top of that I've some logins are saved on my iPhone, but not on my iMac. I'm noty sure if some are saved on the desktop and not on the iPhone. Apart from that, I'm a bit confused about my account, since I'm a long time customer, since May 2011, and I'm not sure what kind of account model I'm using right now.
Attached are the screenshots, what are my best options? Thanks in advance, keep up your wonderful work.
Léon.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.5 (70500003) 1Password Store
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: OS X 10.15.5
Sync Type: not sure

Comments

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2020

Hi @LeonK

From your screenshots it would appear you have a 1Password membership. :) Thanks for being a long-time customer. With membership the "Primary" vault and Dropbox are superfluous — and may actually cause problems, as you've described.

I'm noty sure if some are saved on the desktop and not on the iPhone.

Based on your screenshots: that would not be possible. The iPhone has everything the desktop has. It would be possible that items you've saved on your iPhone are not on your desktop. As long as you can see all of your data on the desktop then it would be safe to delete the Primary vault from the iPhone. Instructions for doing so can be found here:

https://support.1password.com/migrate-1password-account/#set-up-your-other-devices

Please give those instructions a try and let me know how it turns out. If you do not see all of your data on your desktop, then you would first need to move anything that is missing from the Primary vault on the iPhone to the Personal vault on the iPhone. This guide outlines how to move items between vaults:

Move and copy items

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

• LeonK
    LeonK
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

Hi Ben, the iPhone App won't let me delete the Primary vault, keeps saying the Master Password is incorrect. I'm using the same Master Password as the one I'm using to enter my account at https://my.1password.com/signin, I've tried it a couple of times, even cut and pasted it to be sure, no typos, I've double checked and double checked, but . . . ? - The 1Password on the app let's me in by face recognition.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@LeonK:

I'm using the same Master Password as the one I'm using to enter my account at https://my.1password.com/signin, I've tried it a couple of times, even cut and pasted it to be sure, no typos, I've double checked and double checked, but . . . ?

It sounds like you chose a different Master Password for your Primary vault than the one you are using for you online account. Please make sure you enter the correct Master Password in that window (the one you used to unlock the 1Password app before you created a 1Password account).

• LeonK
    LeonK
    Community Member

Eh . . . Does that mean that the Master Password for the iPhone App remains the same after I've changed the Master Password on the iMac? Bit confused :-(
    I've tried some old passwords on the iPhone now, but to no avail. Face recognition still works, but is there a way to reveal that right password there? Or is the solution in this case to delete the app, delete the folder in Dropbox, and reinstall the app?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@LeonK:

Eh . . . Does that mean that the Master Password for the iPhone App remains the same after I've changed the Master Password on the iMac? Bit confused :-(

I think it's because your 1Password app on your Mac and your 1Password app on your iPhone have been configured differently. The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

Looking at your screenshots, this seem to be the case: your Mac does not have a Primary vault, while your iPhone has a Primary vault.

Or is the solution in this case to delete the app, delete the folder in Dropbox, and reinstall the app?

If you forgot the password for your Primary vault, and you know the password for your 1Password account, you can delete the app, install it again, and login to your 1Password account again (no need to touch the data in Dropbox at this point). This way, the 1Password account will be the only one added to the app, and you will be able to unlock the 1Password for iOS app the same way you unlock the 1Password app on your Mac.

Note that if you forgot the password for your Primary vault in Dropbox, you will not have access to that data anymore. Therefore, please make sure that you have moved everything you need from your Primary vault to your Personal vault before proceeding.

• LeonK
    LeonK
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

That worked! Now, I've got only one vault (Personal) on the iPhone as well as on the iMac, and the total number for all items is the same (287) and as far as I can see they are exactly the same.
    Two more questions: can I follow the same procedure for my wife's iPhone, which is our backup phone during our travels?
    Last question: can I delete the 1Password in Dropbox now, containing the files 1password.agilekeychain and the 1Password Emergency Kit? And do you advice to sync the vault as well to iCloud as a backup? I wanted to get rid of the Dropbox sync anyway for a number of other reasons. Thank you very much so far :-)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@LeonK:

Two more questions: can I follow the same procedure for my wife's iPhone, which is our backup phone during our travels?

Yes, if you don't need the Primary vault anymore, and she also syncs her data to 1Password.com, you don't need the Primary vault there either :)

Last question: can I delete the 1Password in Dropbox now, containing the files 1password.agilekeychain

This is up to you, but you can certainly do it if you don't plan to use that vault anymore in the future. 1Password won't use that file anymore, so you can certainly choose to remove it from Dropbox too

and the 1Password Emergency Kit?

You should however definitely keep the Emergency Kit. The Emergency Kit document has the information that allows you to login to your new 1Password account, so please make sure you keep that one stored safely.

And do you advice to sync the vault as well to iCloud as a backup? I wanted to get rid of the Dropbox sync anyway for a number of other reasons.

I recommend only syncing to 1Password.com. Syncing to multiple vaults is inconvenient, and it's very easy to end up with duplicates or saving data in the wrong place. If you only use 1Password.com, things are much easier :)

• LeonK
    LeonK
    Community Member

Thanks again, you've been a big help! Yeah, off course, the Emergency Kit, I've got that stored on several safe places. My backup strategies regarding my machines are: one backup is no backup, two is better, three look good, four is really good, at least as they are stored far away from each other. So I'm hesitating to sync to only one place in the world. I've been robbed twice overseas, no problem because of all those backups, It just doesn't feel right to sync to only one place. I might be robbed again, or lose or damage two iPhones (happened last oktober in a rainstorm), and when I need to reinstall and sync, my line to your servers might be cut - shit happens. I'm thinking about it, but as for now, thanks a lot again, good service!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@LeonK:

We have automatic backups on 1Password.com, so even if you sync to one place, you still have that protection ;)

Not to mention that you would lose the security benefits from 1Password.com: because data stored on iCloud is not protected with the Secret Key, you would have a copy of your data that is less safe than the one you have on 1Password.com, so your second copy would lower your security.

• LeonK
    LeonK
    Community Member

Thanks again,
    Now, one last question, I'ts possible Ben has answered me a while ago about that, but I can't find it right now. Looks like some borders in Europe are finally opening this weekend, and we'll be on the road to Italy. So I fired up my trusted old 2009 Macbook Pro, and updated everything that had to be updated. The 1Passworde version is 6.8.9, and when I check for updates it says I'm up to date. I'd understand I can't upgrade to 7 on El Capitan, so I thought 1P 6.*** doesn't work with the vault in my account, but when I check the 6.*** on the MacBook I see the same vault, with the same content. Am I allright here? If there are any security issues should I delete 1Password on the MacBook and save the few passwords (all two step) I use on the MacBook in the KeyChain?

2010 MacBook 2009 Pro OS X El Capitan Version 10.11.6
    1Password 6 Version 6.8.9 (689001)

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@LeonK:

You can use your 1Password account with 1Password 6 too, yes :)

This discussion has been closed.