I have multiple accounts (families, teams, etc). Which master password unlocks?

Options
infiniballs
infiniballs
Community Member

Hi there,

I have 4 separate accounts, each with different master passwords (3 team, 1 family). As I know is typical, 1Password asks for the master password on restart when first unlocking. The problem is, 1Password seems to randomly choose the account for which to present the master password challenge! I have to enter up to 4 different master passwords before I can unlock, which is very frustrating. Is there a way to choose which master password (or I guess, which account) to challenge me every time?

P.S. - I realize that I could use the same master password across all the accounts, but that doesn't seem like a good security practice and counterintuitive to the problem 1Password is trying to solve.

1Password Version: 1Password 7 Version 7.5 (70500003) 1Password Store
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.14.6
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:which master password

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @infiniballs! Welcome to the forum!

1Password will always ask you for a single Master Password, the choice is not random. The exact Master Password that you are asked depends on the way you have configured your 1Password app. The way 1Password unlocks is:

• If a Primary vault exists, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that vault, regardless of what, if any, memberships are signed in
    • If a single 1Password membership is signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password for that membership account
    • If multiple memberships are signed in, then it unlocks using the Master Password of the first added membership

These are each exclusive scenarios. For example, if multiple memberships are signed in, you cannot unlock 1Password using the Master Password of the second account that was added.

• infiniballs
    infiniballs
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_agna thank you for breaking that down, and explaining deterministically how that works. I probably, in my trial and error, removed and re-added accounts and over a couple of different devices which made it feel random. This clears everything up and I now understand what I need to do to achieve the results I want :).

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@infiniballs:

You are welcome, and I am happy to help! :) If you have any other questions, please feel free to reach out anytime.

Have a wonderful day :)

• infiniballs
    infiniballs
    Community Member
    Options

@ag_ana You as well!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.