ignore items permanently in Watchtower

2»

Comments

• drobertsca
    drobertsca
    Community Member

+1 for being able to exclude Watchtower warnings for particular records. I'd really like to use the feature, but it is pretty unusable in it's current state. +1 to suggestion higher up in this thread that a Watch Tower folder for ignored records is probably the easiest way to keep ignored records visible.

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

Welcome to the forum, @drobertsca! Thanks for adding your voice to this. :)

• ethnicolor
    ethnicolor
    Community Member

And I also also would like to add my voice in requesting an 'ignore' feature for Watchtower. How about a special vault for archiving items, and telling Watchtower to ignore items in that vault?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

It's a possibility. An "archive" vault isn't a special thing that 1Password supports, just something we've heard that some people do. Maybe that could change in the future. Thanks for your feedback!

• drdanger
    drdanger
    Community Member

I'm grateful that AgileBits team members participate in this forum, but I fear that users' clear requests for an important functionality are being dismissed as "getting annoyed by a banner." In fact, the lack of an ignore feature in Watchtower makes it nearly useless to me, and I believe to many others here. Why? Because after cleaning up as many problems as we can, dozens of alerts still remain in the sidebar. We quickly learn to ignore these and will never notice when one more, a valid security problem, appears. Thus Watchtower fails in its principal task of alerting users to risks. I respectfully suggest that AgileBits think through this scenario and consider whether a Watchtower user has any workaround to flag an increase in the number of vulnerable passwords from, say, 13 to 14, as is the case in my sidebar right now. Thank you!

• Hi @drdanger

I'm sorry we gave you that impression. That isn't the case at all. We are seriously looking into how we can improve this situation. Our primary concern is that we don't want to devalue the feature: we do feel it is important to highlight instances where multiple services are using the same password as that is one of the biggest information security problems consumers face. That said your point about "warning fatigue" is well taken. We're trying to find a balance. :)

Ben

• sunspots
    sunspots
    Community Member

+1 for this feature.

I've only had 1Password since Oct 2018 and this has already become a bugbear for me.

It has been suggested to a flag that is ticked to ignore, what about adding a period of time field that becomes active? The default is, for example, 1 month, which can be changed to a maximum of, for example, 24 months.

Then we need to do two things. Tick the box ignore and change the period to x months. After which it pops up in a new Watchtower, it has been months since you reviewed this item. Please review to improve security. Hmm, possibly everyone will just change it to 24 months. Maybe set a fixed time period of 24 months (your research would determine the balance).

Peter

• Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts about this, @sunspots. We have a pretty good idea of how we'd like to address this, but I'm not in a position to make any promises at this point. It is something we're looking closely at.

Ben

• dentarg
    dentarg
    Community Member

@Ben has any progress on this issue been made since your last post?

• Lars
    Lars
    1Password Alumni

@dentarg - nothing to share at the moment, but it's something we're still working on. :)

• linuswig
    linuswig
    Community Member

+1 for this feature, i've just cleaned up my whole Watchtower list and really want to go to 0 on all items, also the ones I cannot address for all reasons mentioned above :)

Any progress or indication of when to expect this feature? Thanks and keep up the good work!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited September 2019

No news at the moment @linuswig, but thank you for adding your feedback :)

And welcome to the forum!

• 3x3cut0r
    3x3cut0r
    Community Member

+1 for this feature!

I have also records in 1Password that are duplicates with the same passwords on purpose.
    For example i have a record "PSN" for my PS4 account and stuff ... but also a "Sony" record for my TV account and stuff.
    It is literally the same account (email and password) but for me a logical different thing/record that i want to separate.

I also have records where only the passwords are the same on purpose.
    For example some useless, unknown and rarely used forum accounts that i have registered once.

For both situations i don't want or can't change my password.
    And here I want to ignore or disable the warnings from watchtower!

A feature to realize that would be nice.

Thank you!

• Hi @3x3cut0r

It is literally the same account (email and password) but for me a logical different thing/record that i want to separate.

Would you mind elaborating on this, please? If they are the same account, what would be the purpose of having separate Login items for them? Wouldn't that just make more work for you whenever you change the password for that account (having to update it in two places)?

For example some useless, unknown and rarely used forum accounts that i have registered once.

What would be the disadvantage of having strong unique passwords for these, particularly if they are so rarely used? I assume you aren't typing the passwords in, but rather are filling them using 1Password?

Please let us know.

Ben

• 3x3cut0r
    3x3cut0r
    Community Member

Would you mind elaborating on this, please? If they are the same account, what would be the purpose of having separate Login items for them? Wouldn't that just make more work for you whenever you change the password for that account (having to update it in two places)?

Yes you are right, i need to change the password in this case on two different places.
    But again, i want to seperate this because i have two logical different records with different notes here.
    In the "PSN" record i have entries like my PS4 and dualshock serial number or website urls from the psn store.
    All this entries rely on the PSN.
    On the other hand my "Sony" record stores another website url, the TV serial or model number ...

Yes i could merge this records but i don't want to, because i like small and clearly ones.
    I can repeat the same example but for different services or devices like 4 or 5 times in my vault.

What would be the disadvantage of having strong unique passwords for these, particularly if they are so rarely used? I assume you aren't typing the passwords in, but rather are filling them using 1Password?

I do store strong unique passwords as often as i can and i'm a big fan of it, but sometimes i do consciously decide to use a password that i can remember of, because i know i will not have the possibility to use 1Password at some point. For example on public pc's or on some workstations on work. And here i use same passwords, especially if i know the accounts were rarely used, so that i can remember of it. (forums were just an example)

i know it looks like for special kind of problems here but i have now over 700 records in my 1Password account and such kind of situations have become commonplace for me now.

even more i want to have a clean watchtower and no need of looking for over 30 records of duplicate or sensitive passwords and so on.

• dentarg
    dentarg
    Community Member

+1 on what @3x3cut0r writes, make sense to me

• Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :) It helps to understand the thought process behind the request. :+1:

Ben

• matthew2
    matthew2
    Community Member

Any update on this? I have several weak passwords I can't change it is so frustrating that 1password flags these...

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@mdeluk:

We don't have anything to share about this yet, sorry. Please keep an eye out on the release notes though: all of our updates will appear there.

• wedi
    wedi
    Community Member

I just discovered I missed two password leakages one of which was really serious. Why have I missed it? Because I learned to ignore watchtower flags.
    Thanks a lot for ignoring the recognized problem of warning fatigue.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Sorry to hear that @wedi! We will keep your feedback and personal experience in mind :+1:

• emirerdogdu
    emirerdogdu
    Community Member

+1 on this feature. I have been using 1Password for many years and I agree with the others on requesting a feature like this. I store passwords that I can't change to my liking (Wi-Fi passwords of communal places or shared accounts), so therefore this feature would be really helpful. Just like @drdanger I have a accounts that showup as warnings and I can't do anything about that, and can't use watchtower to its full potential.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for chiming in on this as well @emirerdogdu, noted :+1:

• v3x
    v3x
    Community Member

So, almost 3 years and still nothing?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Unfortunately we don't have any updates to share about this yet @v3x, sorry! I can however say that this has not been forgotten, and our developers are certainly still aware of the requests.

• Wolfman11
    Wolfman11
    Community Member
    edited May 2021

Just curious if this feature has actually been added to the product roadmap and if it has been prioritized at all. It's been 3 years exactly now since this was requested. Watchtower is a great feature, but without the ability to ignore entries that we cannot fix (due to being shared, password requirements, etc) we will have to start ignoring Watchtower alerts which is definitely bad. I realize there are probably a ton of other features on the roadmap, but this seems like a fairly simple but extremely useful request. As someone else mentioned if the concern is indefinitely ignoring a password(s) is too risky then being forced to only ignore it for a given time frame is better than nothing.

I am just wondering if this is ever going actually happen. I'm a software engineer so I understand that product roadmaps are complex and just because something is on the roadmap doesn't mean it is going to happen any time soon or at all. Just wanted to know if this has actually been seriously considered or if it's just another feature request sitting at the bottom of the backlog that'll just be kicked down the road continuously. I realize you can't make promises but at least having an extremely rough idea if/when this will actually happen. Maybe in the next 6 months, a year, maybe another 3 years? Even if it's having to wait for the next (or following) major version release would be nice to know.

Effectively should I continue to hold my breath because there is a faint light at the end of the tunnel or should I just expect this to not happen any time in the foreseeable future and hopefully be surprised when it does come out.

• asclark
    asclark
    Community Member

I'll add my voice to this again. It's getting tiring waiting for a simple consumer focused feature (just create a tag like you have for '2FA'). It seems like enterprise customers are getting the bulk of 1password product management focus (like Secrets Automation for instance).
    It has got to the point that I am looking to see how easy it will be to migrate to a competitor who still has focus on the consumer.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Wolfman11:

I do not see an ETA at the moment unfortunately. For now, I will continue collecting feedback. I have added your voice to the list :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@asclark:

(just create a tag like you have for '2FA')

For what it's worth, I have heard that we are trying to move away from tags to do these things since they are a bit of an ugly workaround. Our developers have been thinking how to improve this without using tags at all, but since I am not a developer I cannot comment on how technically difficult this would be to sync to multiple devices.

This discussion has been closed.