How can I print only selected items in a category?

Options
OogieM
OogieM
Community Member

I'm trying to print an emergency set of items as a paper backup using 1Password 7 Version 7.4.3 (70403002).

I DO NOT use the on-line version.

I can only print all items in a single category. So all secure notes or all logins etc.

Is there any way to select individual items for printing or select multiple ones for a custom emergency kit?

1Password Version: 7.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.4
Sync Type: WLAN

Comments

• rudy
    Options

@OogieM,

Have you tried holding down the command key while selecting the specific items in the item list that you'd like to print and then choosing the print command under the file menu? It should result in a print dialog that only includes those specific items.

• OogieM
    OogieM
    Community Member
    Options

Yes I have and the results are the same. I always get a print dialog with everything in that category. No way to select just one or a few items.

• rudy
    Options

@oogieM,

This appears to be coming in a future update.

• OogieM
    OogieM
    Community Member
    Options

Any clue how far into the future? Are we talking weeks, months or years?

• Ben
    Options

@OogieM

Anything I could say on that point would be speculation. I doubt it'll be years, but it may very well be weeks or months. In the mean time I'd recommend evaluating if print is really the best backup solution for a database like 1Password. It seems a digital backup would perhaps be more appropriate? We typically recommend against printing 1Password data. The type of information stored in 1Password tends to be fairly dynamic which means frequent printing is required in order to keep a paper copy up to date. In addition strings of text stored can be quite long (e.g. URLs, long passwords). It just isn't very efficient. I don't know how many items you have but can you imagine actually restoring your data from scratch that way? It sounds painful to me. :) Just putting the thought out there.

Time Machine might be a good solution.

Ben

• OogieM
    OogieM
    Community Member
    edited April 2020
    Options

I understand and appreciate your ideas on backup but you missed the key point.

I am creating a paper copy of only critical info that someone would need to know to gain access to the rest of my digital system in the event I die suddenly or am incapacitated. An emergency situation. The planning for this is more urgent given the COVID-19 pandemic and potential risks.

Most of the emergency contact folks for me are not necessarily computer literate. They need a starting point and I would rather trust a single paper document located in a secret location that is given out to only a few of the trusted emergency folks who need to know, like our estate lawyer, health care directive people and immediate family.

This info is not dynamic at all. It hasn't changed in 20+ years. I have to update the printed copy of what animals are where and who gets what feed more frequently and I keep a hard copy of that as well as my digital copies, again in case of emergency.

Time machine is problematic on Catalina, so that is not a good total solution although it can be part of a solution. I have a good backup solution but that does not solve the access issue to folks who are likely only to need it when under duress, in an emergency and with no warning.

PS I have actually had to recover parts of my system by hand and it's not ideal but it's not impossible. There are less than 1000 items in my all my 1Password vaults combined.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited April 2020
    Options

I see. Our 1Password memberships do offer an "Emergency Kit", which may be a better option here:

Get to know your Emergency Kit | 1Password

If you fill in the Master Password field (optional) then all someone would need to access your data is the printed Emergency Kit and a modern web browser. I understand from your post that you are not currently using a membership, but it may be a good time to consider an upgrade. Memberships are the way forward.

Ben

• OogieM
    OogieM
    Community Member
    Options

As I have so often said it is not an option to use cloud services for this sort of information. Period. Full Stop.

And just having the master password available to someone is only helpful if they have computer literacy, a computer and internet. The things I am trying to print out include information on where things are located that are paper, hard copies, like wills, health care info and more that must be accessed immediately and affect day to day care.

It's not at all unreasonable to make sure that trusted advisers have access to that in the format they prefer, which happens to be paper.

I get really tired of support continually trying to force me into using the cloud membership when I clearly state in the beginning that it is not an option. You can disagree with my reasons, and you have. Just accept that some people refuse to use your cloud service and try to help us in a way in which we can accomplish our goals.

Also you need to realize, that is 1 Password ever forces cloud service to maintain it I will quit using the service completely and I know I am not the only person.

There is a place for a non-cloud based password and secure information manager. Up until now 1Password has been my choice but this continual harping to try to get me to move to the cloud has me looking at alternatives.

• Ben
    Options

That is certainly your prerogative. Part of my function here is pointing people in the direction of sustainable options, which is why I talk so much about membership, and why I keep saying that membership is the way forward. That is where all of our development focus is and will remain. If you opt not to go that route that is your choice, but you will miss out on the best of 1Password. The gap is only going to widen as time goes on.

Ben

• dkg
    dkg
    Community Member
    Options

OogieM ,
    I completely agree with your position on cloud services and AgileBits' lack of interest in offering customers non-cloud solutions to the password jigsaw puzzle. It is sad to read through any number of these support requests that end with the "team member" attempting to force the user into a membership, no matter how often that option has been rejected.

1Password just received the highest rating in Consumer Reports for password management, but clearly the CR staff did not have the time or interest to investigate this forum and see how frustrating the application's limitations continue to be...

(BTW - were you ever able to resolve your simple request to find the necessary file to sync your computers via ChronoSync or 'sneaker net' as posted last November ??)

best regards - and I hope your sheep are doing well!.... Dk G

• Ben
    Options

Membership is the way forward for 1Password. That said, at present, you could set up folder sync which will give you a sync file you can sync in any way to decide to do so:

How to keep a copy of a standalone vault updated in a folder

Syncing through ChronoSync or sneaker net is unsupported, so caveat emptor. We cannot troubleshoot such setups if/when problems arise. Membership automatically keeps your data up to date across your devices without having to jump through hoops, which is one of the primary reasons we're so adamant about it. :)

Best of luck.

Ben

• OogieM
    OogieM
    Community Member
    Options

"Membership is the way forward" is a totally unacceptable answer. This insistence on forcing us into membership, if not now, eventually, is forcing me to look into alternative solutions for Password management. I can't believe you still insist on this!

"(BTW - were you ever able to resolve your simple request to find the necessary file to sync your computers via ChronoSync or 'sneaker net' as posted last November ??)"

Yes the file is 1Password.opvault located on my machine in the 1Password folder under Documents under my user folder

• Ben
    Ben
    edited June 2020
    Options

"Membership is the way forward" is a totally unacceptable answer. This insistence on forcing us into membership, if not now, eventually, is forcing me to look into alternative solutions for Password management. I can't believe you still insist on this!

I'm sorry you feel that way, but that is the answer. If you change your mind we'll be happy to help get you going with a membership.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.