Feature Request: sort items consistently using Subtitle, when ordered by Title

Options
garyhooper
garyhooper
Community Member

When the list of items is displayed sorted by Title, please also perform a secondary sort by Subtitle, so that items are always presented in the same order. A different secondary sort is likely required for other sort types.

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS X 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:link items

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @garyhooper!

When the list of items is displayed sorted by Title, please also perform a secondary sort by Subtitle, so that items are always presented in the same order.

When you sort by Title, items should always be presented in the same order already. Have you found cases where this is not happening?

A different secondary sort is likely required for other sort types.

Can you give us some examples of this? Thank you!

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member
    Options

When multiple items have the same name (e.g. multiple login items titled MyBank), and I have three logins (husband, wife, child), the list should always be presented MyBank/child, then MyBank/husband, then MyBank/wife. This is not happening.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@garyhooper:

Here is what I see when I implement your example:

When I sort items by Title, that's the order I get, and it never changes for me.

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member
    Options

It is not showing this way consistently. See below. There needs to be a secondary sort key.

• Ben
    Options

@garyhooper

Is the website fields on each of these items identical?

Ben

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member
    Options

Yes.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@garyhooper:

Interesting. I am not sure why that would be happening on your machine. We can maybe try refreshing things: can you please try quitting 1Password completely (right-click on 1Password mini in the menu bar at the top right of your screen > Quit 1Password Completely), and then relaunch 1Password? Do you see the same sort order?

• garyhooper
    garyhooper
    Community Member
    Options

Yes. Sort order seems to be consistent between invocations, and across devices.

This same problem occurs (at least) with Login Items, Secure Notes, Identities, Bank Accounts, Passports, and Social Security Numbers.

it appears that the secondary sort order could be Date Created. Regardless, I'm suggesting that Subtitle would be much more appropriate.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@garyhooper:

Understood! I have opened an internal issue to pass your thoughts to the developers :+1:

ref: dev/projects/customer-feature-requests#213

This discussion has been closed.