Difference Between Browsers And Applications

Options
TheFalcon
TheFalcon
Community Member

I’ve been using 1Password for years and I really like it but I’m still confused why passwords only show up for certain apps.

As we all know all companies have websites. I quite often register on a site creating accounts and passwords etc and doing this is easy. My problem seems to come when you launch an app for the same company after registration. When you look for a saved password nothing comes up for that company. If you add another you’ve then got a duplicate.

1Password Version: 7.5.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: All
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @TheFalcon,

On macOS apps don't generally specify in a standard way what website they're associated with. I.e. there isn't a way for us to look at the app programmatically and see which website in 1Password is tied to it. Instead we have to manually map each app that we support to a URL. We've tried to hit the major ones, but there are hundreds of thousands of Mac apps. It would be impractical to support all of them. For ones we don't have an association for, or if they don't have a website, you may be able to add a special website field to make it work. The tips in this thread may be helpful in such a case:

How to associate a 1Password record with a specific Mac app? — 1Password Forum

Web browsers are different because they support extensions. We can run 1Password code inside of them. One of the things this allows 1Password to do is see the URL of the website you're currently visiting, if you have our extension installed. Non-browser apps just don't have this sort of extensibility.

Does that help? Please let me know.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.