MS Store says that 1Password is not available - what´s wrong?

Options

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:install windows app

Comments

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @kay1Pass,

Do you happen to use a legacy version of Microsoft Edge on your PC? Please check the following article for more info:

If you can’t use 1Password in Microsoft Edge Legacy

If my hunch is correct, you will need to install the new version of Edge, based on Chromium, and follow the rest of the steps from the article above.

Please let me know. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• kay1Pass
    kay1Pass
    Community Member
    Options

HI Greg,
    thanks for writing :-)
    Edge (Chromium) extension works fine; I was just wondering why the desktop app is not available via MS Store...
    By now I chose to install from outside the store and that worked fine, too.
    Maybe I´m just professionally paranoid that I would have liked it to also see MS clearance...
    Could maybe become an issue when offering 1Password to a real business.
    Cheers
    Kay

• At the moment, @kay1Pass, the Microsoft Store has some restrictions on apps offered there that don't allow us to make our desktop app available. Most notably, Microsoft Store apps aren't allowed to integrate with apps from outside the Microsoft Store which would leave us unable to save and fill in Chrome and Firefox, both of which are fairly popular browsers. This isn't without reason – I believe part of Microsoft's philosophy with the Store is to ensure that apps installed from there only interact with other apps that have been through that vetting process so it makes sense they made that choice, but integration with other browsers isn't something we could reasonably give up and maintaining multiple versions of the desktop app that have different capabilities has caused enough confusion for our customers in the past, we don't want to give it another go just yet. There have been a few hints of changes in policy so that may change one day, but for the moment putting 1Password there just wouldn't be practical for us.

Now, with that said, the new Edge (Chromium) Extension Store is essentially the new home for the Extensions section of the Microsoft Store. Since 1Password X doesn't require a desktop app, we have made it available on the Edge Extension Store which (to my knowledge) involves a rather similar approval process. If you use the new Microsoft Edge and don't have any specific need for the desktop app, you could always stick with 1Password X to avoid installing anything that hasn't been through Microsoft's approval process. Totally up to you. :+1:

This discussion has been closed.