1Password extensions for Firefox and Chrome repeatedly become inactive

odysseus
odysseus
Community Member

I'm repeatedly having problems with the 1P extensions in Firefox and Chrome where clicking in a login field will cause the 1P icon to be displayed, but clicking on that icon or typing command-shift-X (or whatever it is) does nothing. I use 1PasswordX beta in both so that I can use TouchID on my MacBook Pro (but in these instances, I'm working in closed-clamshell mode so TouchID isn't available).

At these times, clicking on the 1Password icon in my system menu bar also does nothing, but curiously, if I launch the 1P app, it is unlocked!

This problem appears to occur randomly and sometimes I’m able to fix it by reinstalling the 1P browser extension, but there's no failsafe remedy.

Any suggestions?

1Password Version: 7.6 BETA-0
Extension Version: 1.20.0 (Firefox) / 1.20.1 (Chrome)
OS Version: 10.15.5
Sync Type: 1Password Family

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @odysseus!

I'm repeatedly having problems with the 1P extensions in Firefox and Chrome where clicking in a login field will cause the 1P icon to be displayed, but clicking on that icon or typing command-shift-X (or whatever it is) does nothing.

When this happens, are you able to click on the 1Password X icon in your browser bar directly instead? Does that work?

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member

No

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@odysseus:

Thank you for the confirmation! If the 1Password X browser extension does not work at all, even when you click on it, I suggest you uninstall the extension and install it again in your browser. Please let us know what you find out!

• odysseus
    odysseus
    Community Member
    edited May 2020

My question is: why does this keep happening? And why, when the extension for one non-Apple browser won't work, does the other one also not work?

And the extensions have started working again without my having to reinstall them! Why?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@odysseus:

And the extensions have started working again without my having to reinstall them! Why?

If things started working again without you doing anything, it's possible that something is interfering with your extensions on your system. It's difficult to know exactly what that might be without looking at the logs, so if this happens again and you would like us to take a closer look at why this is happening to you, please feel free to get the 1Password X logs and email them to us at support+forum@agilebits.com :)

• SarlaccAttacc
    SarlaccAttacc
    Community Member

I'm having a similar problem. Extension works immediately upon install. If I lock 1password X beta, nothing I do in the extension creates any kind of response anymore and I cannot unlock it again.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@SarlaccAttacc:

What version of 1Password X are you currently using, and in which browser?

• SarlaccAttacc
    SarlaccAttacc
    Community Member

I use both Chrome and Brave. Same issue in each. Same issue if I only have the extension installed in one and not the other.

Chrome: 83.0.4103.61
    Brave: 1.8.96 Chromium: 81.0.4044.138 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    1Password 7: 7.6.BETA-1 (70600001)
    1Password X: 1.20.1.beta (build #20110)
    MacOS: 10.15.4

I discovered yesterday that if I turn off 1Password integration with desktop app, the extension functions normally again. But, integration with desktop is the feature that prompted me to give the beta a try.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

@SarlaccAttacc – Just so I'm clear on the issue, when you visit the 1Password X Settings page, do you see an error that indicates 1Password X can't connect to 1Password for Mac? If so, I'm curious what that error says exactly.

It'd also be helpful to see a copy of your logs as well as a diagnostics report from your computer so I can dig deeper. The latter can only be emailed in, though. If you're up for it, please send an email to support+forum@1password.com, and mention a link to this post as well as your forum username. You can find instructions on how to obtain both your diagnostics report and your 1Password X log below.

1Password X Log
    Diagnostics Report

Let me know once you've sent the email, and I'll take a look!

• SarlaccAttacc
    SarlaccAttacc
    Community Member
    edited June 2020

There's no error message. If I connect 1Password X to the desktop app, I then experience the problems described in the first post of this thread.

If I flip the switch to integrate 1Password X Beta with the desktop app, it works. The integration works. However, once 1password X locks, the icon shows the lock and then nothing I do with 1Password X results in any response. Only disabling the integration allows the extension to function.

Edit: email sent. THANKS!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@SarlaccAttacc:

Thank you! I confirm that I have managed to locate your message in our system :+1: We will take a look and someone will get back to your email as soon as possible.

Thank you for your patience!

ref: HNL-29467-573

• skeskali
    skeskali
    Community Member

I am having the same problem. The keyboard shortcut I've set for 1Password X no longer works. I can't keep restarting my computer every time the extension stops working. I'm using Firefox 77.0.1, 1Password X 1.20.2 on Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.5. This is so frustrating, especially now that I'm working from home and spending so much time in front of my computer.

• @skeskali: Which version of 1Password for Mac is installed on your system?

• skeskali
    skeskali
    Community Member

@ag_michaelc I am using 1Password 7 Version 7.6.BETA-3 (70600003) 1Password Beta

• Hi @skeskali, just to clarify, are you able to open the pop-up and use the inline menu? Is it just the keyboard shortcut that doesn't work, or are you experiencing other issues?

• skeskali
    skeskali
    Community Member

@ag_michaelc Just the keyboard shortcut. I mostly navigate from the keyboard, so having to reach over to use my trackpad/mouse is frustrating. I double-checked to make sure that I had the correct shortcut set, and I do. The problem is intermittent but happens often enough that it's become an annoyance.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@skeskali:

What keyboard shortcut do you currently have configured in 1Password X?

• skeskali
    skeskali
    Community Member

@ag_ana command-period, but it doesn't matter which keyboard shortcut I use, I have the same problem.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@skeskali:

Thank you for the confirmation. Are you still running 1Password X version 1.20.2.beta like you wrote a few posts ago? If yes, can you try updating to the latest beta (1.20.4.beta) and see if you see the same behavior there?

• skeskali
    skeskali
    Community Member

I am still running the beta, and I'm still having the same problems intermittently. I suspect the culprit may be a Firefox add-on is interfering with 1Password somehow, but I haven't been able to figure out which add-on is causing the problem.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@skeskali:

You could try temporarily disabling all of them (other than 1Password) and then enable them again one by one.

This discussion has been closed.