Windows Hello does not work with Chrome Extension

Windows Hello works fine for logging into the 1Password app (v 7.4.767), but it does not work for the Chrome extension (1Password X). I have to enter my password every time unless 1Password is already unlocked. I do have another 1Password extension (4.7.5.90) installed in Chrome, but it is currently disabled. Should I be using 1Password X, the extension that requires the desktop app (v 4.7.5.90), or both? I'm confused.

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• plttn
    plttn
    Community Member

They're two different extensions that serve different use cases. The one that requires the desktop app only works for people who can run a desktop app on their device (so Linux users cannot use that one), but it is able to communicate with 1PW to lock and unlock, as it's just filling from the desktop app. X on the other hand doesn't communicate at all with the desktop app (apart from desktop app integration currently only for beta users on macOS), but that means it's not reliant on having the desktop app, so Linux users can install it, people who can't/don't want to install the desktop app on say a work computer.

Additionally, their behavior is slightly different. I prefer X over the desktop integration one, but I do miss not having fingerprint unlock from when I had my Macbook and was betaing desktop app integration. The amount of times I enter a password not through Chrome is pretty minimal in my daily use, so the desktop app stays locked a vast majority of the day.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2020

Hey @FlyMeAway! 👋

@plttn said it perfectly (thank you for that!). 1Password X doesn't actually communicate with the 1Password desktop app, and the desktop app is what supports Windows Hello. The two browser extensions we offer aren't meant to be used together, so it's up to you if you'd prefer to use 1Password X vs. the desktop-dependent 1Password extension (which you can unlock with Windows Hello).

I hope that helps, but let me know if you have any other questions.

• stshank
    stshank
    Community Member

It sure would be nice if 1Password X (the extension I use and prefer for various reasons, including Chrome OS) could use Windows Hello. Is this something WebAuthn could enable? I use Touch ID on my Mac happily through 1Password X integration with 1Password app, and face/fingerprint on my phones & tablets. (I have a lot of devices for professional reasons.)

The easier it is to securely unlock the vault, the happier I am to set 1Password to lock up automatically. The harder it is, the more I set long timeouts for leaving my vaults unlocked. I have to log in a lot in the course of work and personal life — dozens of times a day, often.

• I'd like to see Windows Hello integration too, @stshank. Hopefully one day, but nothing to announce at this time. :smile:

• Stanzilla
    Stanzilla
    Community Member

Would love to see a way to get this unified as well. At least unlocking the desktop app should unlock X as well. Super annoying to always do it twice.

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for your input, @Stanzilla! :+1:

This discussion has been closed.