1.20.2 extension copy username not working

"In the popup, the copy username shortcut has been changed to Ctrl+Command+C / Ctrl+Windows+C. {!1808}"

Cannot get it to work. Copying password with Shift+Ctrl+C works fine. Also interested in knowing reasoning to this change.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: 1.20.2
OS Version: Windows 10
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jpalo! Welcome to the forum!

Just to make sure we are looking at the same thing: can you please let us know where you saw that line of the release notes? I tried looking at our public changelog page for 1Password X but I could not see that entry.

• jpalo
    jpalo
    Community Member

Looks like it has been removed, I did see the previous version of that page coming from browser cache and containing that item, then when it refreshed the page, that !1808 is gone.

Still, not even Shift+Alt+C copies username anymore.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jpalo:

Thank you for the confirmation. I have just tried the Shift+Alt+C combination here and I was able to copy the username field to the clipboard. I am however using a Mac, I wonder if maybe this is specific to Windows.

• jpalo
    jpalo
    Community Member

Yes, I'm using Windows.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jpalo:

Let me ask a colleague if they can try this on Windows too then :+1:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@jpalo:

We tested this on Windows and we might have been able to reproduce the behavior. Can you please test this on the latest 1Password X beta (1.20.3.beta) and see if you can reproduce this there too?

• jpalo
    jpalo
    Community Member

Yes, still occurs on 1.20.3.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

@jpalo:

Thank you for the confirmation. I will let the developers know about this so they can take a look at why this is happening :+1:

ref: dev/core/core#1725

• jpalo
    jpalo
    Community Member

1.21.0 changes username shortcut as follows "In the pop-up, the copy username shortcut has been changed to Command-C / Ctrl+C. {#1725}", and that seems to work & is also lot more intuitive. Thank you.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

You are welcome @jpalo! Thank you for the update :)

• Hey @jpalo! Since you were curious for some extra details, I thought I'd share some :)

The reason we made a change in the first place was this entry:

Keyboard shortcuts are now based on the current keyboard layout. {#974, #1399}

To accomplish this, we had to change how we detect keyboard shortcuts. In particular, we look at what's generated by each key press, instead of where on the keyboard it came from. All good so far.

One limitation with this approach is that shortcuts containing the Alt key, such as Shift-Alt‑C, are hard to detect. The Alt key is a special one that causes the output of subsequent keys to change. Consequently, running the shortcut may produce something like Shift-ç. The browser doesn't give us a way of reversing this process, unfortunately, so we decided to change the one shortcut that was using it.

Ctrl+Windows+C was our first choice, after lots of consideration about what the browser uses, what the operating system reserves, and what doesn't stretch your fingers too much. Regrettably, we didn't spot that this shortcut doesn't fire on Windows - which I think is because the operating system reserves it. So, in the latest beta, we changed it to Ctrl+C.

Thanks for letting us know about the problem, and being patient while we got it fixed! I'm glad to hear that the new shortcut is working for you 🎉

This discussion has been closed.