How to move attachments from one item to another?

EllenH
EllenH
Community Member

Hello all,

I have some items that I want to move from the Logins category to the Email Accounts category. I know I have to create a new item and enter all the information again.

I also want to move the attachments that are in "Related Items" to the new item. What is the best way to do this?

Ellen

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.14.6
Sync Type: Membership

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @EllenH!

The quickest way would be to create a new item in the new category, as you correctly wrote, and then link the items again. Because Documents and attachments live in their own category, there is no need to move them, only to link to them again from the new item :)

• EllenH
    EllenH
    Community Member

Thank you @ag_ana

Before I go ahead, I have another question. I have some items that are Logins but are also Email accounts. For instance, my .me account is an email address but is also an Apple ID account that is used for various things, not just mail.

I asked the first question about attachments because I was about to change a login account to an email account but now I'm not sure it's such a good idea.

I can't set up two items because then I'll always be seeing the message telling me that the password is reused and I should change it. So I have to choose. Is there any advantage to choosing one or the other?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@EllenH:

I cannot think of an advantage with one approach or the other. Categories are there to help you keep your data in order, but there isn't a right way to use them. Personally, I have all my email addresses under Login items, because every time I have to configure my email, the information is configured automatically, so I just need to enter my email address and password. Because I never have to configure email manually, my email category is empty :)

• EllenH
    EllenH
    Community Member

That's good to know. I'm often afraid of misinterpreting or missing something, especially with “serious” software. I do have some accounts that need some setting up and, anyway, I do like to know how things are set up even when it's done more or less automatically. Until I noticed the existence of the Email category I just used logins for years and put all the technical stuff in a note. Since notes can use Markdown, they can be formatted any way I want.

I'll keep your reply in mind and take a better look at my stuff. Thanks again for your incredibly fast help.

• I'm glad to hear that helped @EllenH. The general rule is if you'd like to be able to fill the username & password from the record into a web form it needs to be in the Logins, Identities, or Credit Cards category. It is possible in the future that more flexibility in this regard will be possible, but that'll be the best approach for the moment.

Ben

• EllenH
    EllenH
    Community Member

That is a very good reason to stick to Logins when the email account with its password is used for more than just mail.

And it's good to know that, at least for now, only Logins, Identities, and Credit Card categories can fill web forms automatically. In fact, I'm realizing that there is a lot that I don't know about in 1P. I looked around the site for a User's Guide or manual (the one I have is from 2014) and didn't find one. Is there one somewhere? I did find the Get started pages, but that's not really what I'm looking for. Or maybe it is and I don't know it…

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@EllenH:

We don't have an instruction manual in the form of a PDF, but we publish all of our guides and tutorials on our support website.

I also recommend following our blog: we often publish tips and tutorials also there :)

This discussion has been closed.