Only 3 of my 138 items show up in 1Password on my new device (new and old devices are both Macs)

audsquad
audsquad
Community Member

Hi. I've been using 1Password for years -- most often, lately, on a 2013 MacBook Pro. I recently purchased a new 2020 MacBook Air. I have 1Password on the new device, and I can log in, but for some odd reason only 3 items show up in 1Password on the new device. I can log in to my old device, and see 138 items in 1Password. I've searched all over your help pages, and they tend to say things like "Just log in on your new device and your information will be there." I wish! Can you help?

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Only 3 of my 138 items show up in 1Password on my new device (new and old devices are both Macs)

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @audsquad!

but for some odd reason only 3 items show up in 1Password on the new device. I can log in to my old device, and see 138 items in 1Password.

It sounds like you created a new vault on your new computer, instead of syncing the existing one. Can you confirm if this is the case? You can look at the names of the vaults in your two 1Password apps to confirm this.

• audsquad
    audsquad
    Community Member

Thank you. I had most of my passwords in a "personal vault," so I had to go into 1Password, Preferences, Advanced, and check the box that says "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts," which then allowed "Sync" to show as an option in Preferences, and then I synced over iCloud. I don't really get why I had to do all of that, but with much surfing through Help pages, I unearthed the fix, and it worked. Thank you for responding. If you come across folks having a similar issue, this fix worked. Yay!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@audsquad:

Thank you for the update! I am glad to hear that you managed to get sync working again :)

For completeness: note that if you have a Personal vault (which comes with a 1Password membership), sync is automatic. So unless you have a specific reason to use iCloud to sync your data, the best solution would be to move items from the old vault to the Personal vault, so items would be automatically synced via 1Password.com without requiring iCloud.

• audsquad
    audsquad
    Community Member

Ah. I couldn't figure out how to move items from one vault to another. It's probably not hard, but I found the other fix first. Is it easy to do? (I tried drag and drop, but that didn't seem to work.) Thanks for responding!

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2020

@audsquad:

Moving items is easy, yes :) We also have a documentation page about the process, which you can find here:

Move and copy items

If you have any questions or get stuck at any step of the process, please let me know :)

This discussion has been closed.