Installation of 1Password 7.5 fails on macOS 10.15.3

Seb1281
Seb1281
Community Member
edited June 2020 in Mac

Hello,

I got the window telling me to download the update for 1Password and install it manually because of an issue with the automatic updater. So I downloaded 7.5 and tried to update, but it failed, telling me something went wrong and asked me to contact the manufacturer.
Even after deleting the application, quitting any other apps like Safari and rebooting the installation keeps failing.

Does anybody has am idea what the problem could be?

1Password Version: 7.5
_Extension Version:
Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.3
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Seb1281!

May I ask if there is a reason why you are still using macOS 10.15.3, instead of the latest macOS version (10.15.5)? It might not be related to this, but it would be nice to have all the information before we start looking into this :)

• Seb1281
    Seb1281
    Community Member

Hi,

I didn't had the time to update. On my working Macbook I did the update the same way on 10.15.3 0r 10.15.4 and it was no problem. But I ca do the update now and try it again :chuffed:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Seb1281:

If you could do that, it would be great, just to make sure we are not forgetting any details :) Once you are on the latest version, we can try this again and make sure that if this happens again, it has nothing to do with the operating system. Thank you for your help with this!

• Seb1281
    Seb1281
    Community Member

I'm sorry for the delay. There were problems with the macOS update. At the end I did a complete new installation of macOS. That made no difference. It's the newest version installed, but the setup for 1Password still fails.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Seb1281:

Thank you for the update! Can you please post a screenshot of the error message that you get?

• Seb1281
    Seb1281
    Community Member

Of course, but I'm afraid it won't give you much information. It's in german. Is this a problem?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Seb1281:

Thank you for the screenshot! It's not a problem, my husband speaks German too so he was able to translate that for me :)

If you open your Applications folder on your Mac, do you see 1Password there, or is it even missing from the Applications folder?

• Seb1281
    Seb1281
    Community Member

Very good!
    No, it‘s not there. I removed it from my Macbook, made a Time Machine backup, did a fresh installation and started the migration assistant to restore my data.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Seb1281:

I would like to ask you to generate a diagnostics report from your Mac and email it to us to support+forum@agilebits.com, so we can take a closer look at why this is happening to you. There might not be much that we can see if the app is missing, but perhaps the logs will give us a hint.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Seb1281
    Seb1281
    Community Member

@ag_ana Sorry for the additional delay, I had holidays and was on vacation.

The report has just been created and send you the mail address you mentioned above.

As soon as I get a ticket number, I'll post it here.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited August 2020

Got it! Thanks. We'll continue the conversation via email. :)

ref: UVZ-27347-822

In case it helps anyone else, the file you download from us is not executable. Rather, macOS has a built-in installer process, and that's what's getting hung up there. There could be a deeper issue on the Mac. But often updating macOS, rebooting, and disconnecting any external drives can help. Booting into Safe Mode can also help.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Thank you for the suggestion @sylath! :+1:

• Seb1281
    Seb1281
    Community Member

@sylath I created a second account, with admin permissions and tried to install 1Password under that account, same story.

Additionally I removed the 1Password folder under ~/LIbrary/Application Support. That also didn't change anything.

• Hey @Seb1281

Are you still having difficulties here? If so could you please follow up with Brenty in the email exchange you have with your diagnostic report? We'd like to get to the bottom of this for you. Thanks!

Ben

• Seb1281
    Seb1281
    Community Member

Hi @Ben
    yes I‘m still having this issue.
    Of course we can continue looking further into this.

Thanks and best regards
    Seb

• Good call on the install log, @sylath. @Seb1281 we look forward to your email. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.