It takes way too many mouse clicks to create a new login

Options
qubed
qubed
Community Member

This isn't so much as a bug, but a UX issue. If I want to create a new username/password Login (my second most common action), it requires 8 mouse clicks!

1) + generate password
2) save and fill
3) click the 1password browser extension
4) edit
5) save
6) covert to login
7) edit
(then type my username)
8) save

This is WAY too many. I should be able to do it in 2

1) + generate new login
(type my username which could be pre-populated with my email address)
2) save and fill.

Maybe there is a way to do it similar to that, but I couldn't find it and it's not very obvious. I know there's a New Login option behind the Settings gear icon, but I honestly have no idea what that does because it just closes the extension.

macos/firefox

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: 4.7.5.90
OS Version: 10.15.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• rudy
    Options

@qubed,

I believe you can cut many of these steps out entirely.

1) type a username/email address into the username field on whatever page you're on
    2) invoke 1Password mini
    3) + generate password
    4) click save and fill
    5) hit save on the 1Password save dialog that offers to save/update existing logins

I'll let one of the other staff members chime in if they've got different instructions than these, but i just ran through these steps using the desktop app required extension in chrome and it produced a Login item filled out with my username and the generated password.

• qubed
    qubed
    Community Member
    Options

@rudy

Thanks for the suggestion, though I'm not sure what you mean by #5. After I click #4 (save and fill) the 1Password Mini goes away and only a new password is saved into my vault not a new login.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@qubed:

To get to step 5, please submit the form. I believe rudy meant that popup that appears after you submit the form with the password you generated :)

• qubed
    qubed
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @ag_ana

So that technically works, (Settings->Browsers->Detect new usernames... must be enabled), but now I have two entries in my vault, the password & the login.

If this is 1Passwords intended workflow, it's:

1a) Not obvious
    1b) There's no apparent help page that explains it (or at the very least, not very googleable - I only uncover the manually save a login page: https://support.1password.com/save-login-manually/)
    2) clutters my vault with effectively duplicate entries that I either have to go back and manually delete or ignore.
    3) the 8 click flow I mentioned above could easily be reducted to 5 clicks (and I believe that's how it worked in 1Password 6 and earlier).

I'm sure there's all sorts of engineering constraints that led down to this workflow, but the end result is not very good.

• Ben
    Options

Thanks @qubed. This is the guide:

Use the 1Password extension to save and fill passwords on your Mac or Windows PC

clutters my vault with effectively duplicate entries that I either have to go back and manually delete or ignore.

That part is a bug. 1Password should be cleaning up Password items that have the same password and website as a Login item, when you save the Login item using the extension.

Ben

• qubed
    qubed
    Community Member
    Options

This recommend flow also doesn't work when the username or email is on separate page from the generated password. For example, I was just on a site where I entered my email address first, then they gave a confirmation email which I clicked, and only then could I enter a new password. So I had to go back and add the username.

• Ben
    Options

@qubed

Multi-page logins are a bit of a special case, and we have a separate guide that outlines how to best approach them:

Sign in to websites with username and password split across multiple pages

It may be possible that we could better handle this in the future, but for the moment, that would be my advice.

Ben

• qubed
    qubed
    Community Member
    Options

That part is a bug. 1Password should be cleaning up Password items that have the same password and website as a Login item, when you save the Login item using the extension.

Is this going to be fixed? Creating new logins is my second most common activity on 1Password, and it's currently a mess and pain to deal with.

---

I want to stress that I still find this flow very non-intuitive. For me, it's no big deal, but I want to move my parents to a password manager and they're not very technical and unless this becomes much easier, I'm really not going to attempt the transition.

In the current flow:

1) The user inputs the email address or username on the webpage, and from there it goes to the company's server AND the 1password mini. Having a piece of information going to 2 places with one click is very atypical in a browser. Most people expect that clicking submit on a form only goes to one place - the company's server.

2) In contrast, the generated password goes in the opposite direction - from the plugin to the webpage to the server. A sensible unidirectional flow.

So we have the email/username going from the webpage to the plugin and the password from plugin to the webpage. It doesn't make any coherent sense.

So, going back to my earlier suggestion - what if everything also goes one-way from the plugin to the web page to the server. Inside the mini there's also a "+ generate login" button. The user either inputs the desired email address/username right into the mini, or preselects it from a list of commonly used previous ones. There could even be ONE keyboard global shortcut (maybe Cmd + shift + \) that automatically generates & auto-fills a new login with a new password and a previously specified default email address and inserts it into the webpage (I feel about 90% of my new logins is the same email address). This may not work as well with people with multiple vaults, but for people like me that really just use one vault it would be amazing. But a small interstitial asking the user to specify the desired vault and/or username would be ok, and no worse that the current flow.

This also solves the special case where the email address & password are on separate pages and you don't have to "update" a login you literally just created.

There is the issue where a selected username is not available and this is not found out until after the user submits the webform. This could be solved with the current update login flow. It's not elegant, but should be pretty rare, and still no worse than the current flow for all new logins.

I'm a software engineer. I understand there may be all sorts of hidden constraints I can't see or don't notice preventing this and it may not be feasible. But if it is possible, I hope you'll consider it, especially as an additional alternative to the current flow.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@qubed:

Is this going to be fixed?

Yes, our developers are aware of this :)

With regards of your username suggestion, I can tell you that we have been discussing this, and we have an internal issue to track feedback on it :+1:

• qubed
    qubed
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you, much appreciated.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.