Entering a Licence Key

Andrew42
Andrew42
Community Member
edited April 2023 in 1Password 7 for Windows

I have just spent part of my Sunday afternoon at my favourite pastime: reinstalling my computer! I downloaded 1password from the website and it installed 7.6.776 Beta without a problem. However it tells me that it is "ReadOnly" and I need either to add a 1P account or licence. I have the standalone version and I have a licence key but I cannot find where to enter it. Have I downloaded the wrong version? (It was the only Windows version I could find on the website except V4 which I have'nt used for a long time. Thanks for your help.

1Password Version: 7.6.766 Beta
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: W10 Pro
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Andrew42!

You can add your existing license under the 1Password > License... menu right after installing the beta:

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Thank you. But that is not what I get. Please see the screenshots attached:

Whence my question. Where do I enter the licencse key, or what file is being looked for and where would it be:

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Andrew42:

Where do I enter the licencse key, or what file is being looked for and where would it be:

After clicking on the Add License button, you can navigate to where you stored your license. It might be in your Downloads folder, but we don't have visibility into that, it depends on where you downloaded it to your computer.

Alternatively, you could check your confirmation email: if I am not mistaken, you should have the possibility to download a new copy of your license from there, in case you misplaced it.

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Here is the irony. My key is stored in a software record in 1Password. I have not misplaced it. It is something like a 33 alphanumneric string divided into six sections. I also have my order number. Now how do I get that data into my recored so that 1P stops being read only?

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Andrew42:

From what you are saying, I start to suspect that you might have downloaded the wrong app version then. Can you confirm that you actually purchased a license for 1Password version 7? If you have an alphanumeric license, I think that's an old license for 1Password 4 (which still used license strings instead of license files).

The date of the purchase can help: do you remember what year you purchased the 1Password license?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

I have emails going back to 2014 but my 1P software record has a purchase date of May 23, 2018 order # 1PA180523-8576-58160.
    Should I wipe out my current version, install V4 and it will automatically update to current Beta which is what I had yesterday morning before I had to reinstall everything?

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Yes, I can confirm it was for 1P 7 I have a copy of the confirmation/invoice from Fastspring. But no email regarding activation

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

@Andrew42:

Understood, thank you for the confirmation. We can certainly send you a new email then. Please reach out to our sales team via email at sales@1password.com so we don't share your personal information on the forum here, and they will help you with your license and order :+1:

There is no need to install 1Password version 4 because there won't be an automatic update to 1Password 7 beta from it. The best thing would be to wait to receive a new license confirmation email so you can activate 1Password 7 again directly.

After you have sent the email, please feel free to post the ticket number you received so we can locate your message and connect it with this forum discussion.

Looking forward to your message!

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Thank you. Will do.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

Bingo. Inwriting an email to Sales I was looking for backup docs. I searched my emails again and I found one I had written to Fastspring complaining about not receiving an activation link and that anyway any such link had an expiry date. They had responded with a non-expiring link that I have been able to find. I have now downloaded the file and saved it where I can find it anytime I want. Problem solved. Thanks for you help.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Andrew42,

Great news! :) We are glad to hear you were able to find your license file.

We are always here for you, if you need help with 1Password.

Stay safe,
    Greg

• Andrew42
    Andrew42
    Community Member

I've attached the licence file to my IP record. Of course, I can't access it from there but at least I know its name and I've recorded its location in Notes.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni

That's a good idea @Andrew42 :+1:

This discussion has been closed.