Office 365 OTP not auto-filling -

Options

In office 365 email I have set up the OTP through 1Password, which works, except that it does not auto-fill. None of my microsoft 365 accounts seem to autofill. I have to log into these accounts pretty frequently, so having it fill in the OTP would be great. Tried it on both Chrome and Firefox, neither worked. Any ideas?

1Password Version: 7.4.767
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @journeyofthought! Welcome to the forum!

Can you please let us know the full URL where this is happening to you, so we can test it? Thank you!

• journeyofthought
    journeyofthought
    Community Member
    Options

Yep sure thing - its: https://login.microsoftonline.com/login.srf?client-request-id=f98c8c6f-bd01-4332-907e-218c6f55a64b

I have "https://login.microsoftonline.com" as one of the websites associated with the username/password for the 365 account.

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @journeyofthought, thank you for the info!

Could you please specify what extension you have installed in your browser, is it 1Password companion extension or 1Password X?

1Password companion extension doesn't auto-fill your OTP, so please let us know. Thanks! :+1:

++
    Greg

• journeyofthought
    journeyofthought
    Community Member
    Options

1password X - for both Chrome and Firefox (its happening in both)

• Greg
    Greg
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@journeyofthought: I moved our discussion to 1Password X category, since you use it. I hope you don't mind. :)

I will ask our extensions team to take a closer look and reply. Stay tuned.

Cheers,
    Greg

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for getting this on our radar, @journeyofthought. I've tried this out on my end, and I haven't been able to reproduce the issue. My TOTP fills when I sign into my Office 365 account. Just to confirm, are you visiting www.office.com and pressing the Sign In button, or do you have to visit a specific URL to sign into your account?

I created a screen recording of me signing in to an Office 365 account. Please take a look and let me know if you notice anything different from the way you're signing in.

• journeyofthought
    journeyofthought
    Community Member
    Options

The organization requires a separate login page - office.unc.edu. I can't sign in through login.microsoftonline.com directly. But once I sign in through office.unc.edu, it redirects to login.microsoftonline.com

• kaitlyn
    kaitlyn
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@journeyofthought – Ah, that's interesting. Thanks for those extra details. Can you try signing in just like you normally would? Once you get to the TOTP field, right click on the field and select Inspect. Some code should pop up on the screen. Please take a screenshot of the entire page (as long as no personal info is showing). I'm interested to see if the code for your sign in process is any different than the typical sign in process, since the latter is working well for me.

• journeyofthought
    journeyofthought
    Community Member
    Options

Heres the screenshot - just cut out the part that has my email but did inspect element on the field and heres the code:

• ag_jarek
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hi @journeyofthought!

That OTP field looks very similar to the other one, interesting.

Two questions for you.

1. Does autofilling the one-time password from the 1Password icon work? (Open the 1Password X popup and click the blue "Autofill" button on your Microsoft account item)
    2. Is the OTP field on a page with a different URL compared to where you first started autofilling with 1Password? Right now it sounds like you start logging in on office.unc.edu (perhaps with your username / password) and then you get redirected to login.microsoftonline.com to input the OTP code. Let me know if I'm understanding that correctly :smile:
  • journeyofthought
    journeyofthought
    Community Member
    Options
    1. Autofill does not appear.
    2. Yes thats correct, its redirecting. I have login.microsoftonline.com saved as a website associated with the item though.
    1. Autofill does not appear.

I'm guessing when you say "autofill does not appear" you're referring to the inline menu (the 1Password icon being in the one-time-code field). Before we move on I'd like to clarify this point (the answer to this question changes what I think the issue could be). I should have been more clear about what I meant by "popup" in the first question, my bad!

So, I'm interested to know if autofill works from the popup located at the top right of the screen that appears when you click on the 1Password icon to the right of the address bar in your browser. Here's a screenshot of what I'm talking about:

If the websites associated with the item are correct, your Microsoft account login should be sorted to the top and clicking the highlighted blue "Autofill" button should successfully fill the OTP code into the box on the page.

Let me know if that works for you!

• journeyofthought
    journeyofthought
    Community Member
    Options

Ah I see. Yes that DID work. If I click the autofill button it will autofill from there. What it does not do is autofill the OTP like it normally does, without me having to click anything.

• ag_ana
    ag_ana
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@journeyofthought:

Thank you for the confirmation. Out of curiosity, is the OTP filled automatically if you edit your Login item and make sure you have two website fields in it?

• office.unc.edu
    • login.microsoftonline.com

I wonder if this will help.

• Ah I see. Yes that DID work. If I click the autofill button it will autofill from there. What it does not do is autofill the OTP like it normally does, without me having to click anything.

@journeyofthought thanks for trying that out for me! That confirms what I was thinking about the cause of the issue. @ag_ana has a good suggestion, and it looks like you already have the item set up properly since autofilling from the popup works. It won't allow the item to autofill without clicking anything, though.

The functionality in 1Password that autofills your OTP code for you without you having to click a button is tied to the URL and tab you first start the fill process from (for security reasons). This means that when you start signing in on office.unc.edu, 1Password is ready to fill your OTP code into another page on that domain. However, in this particular login flow, you then get redirected to login.microsoftonline.com; 1Password will attempt to fill your OTP code but it will refuse to do so since the URL (the domain, specifically) has changed from where you first started.

I don't believe this is something we'll ever change as it's pretty important for security. For now you'll just have to use the popup to autofill, I'm afraid. Hopefully in the future we'll be able to show the inline menu in OTP fields so that this process becomes quicker, though!

This discussion has been closed.