2 Factor Authentication and "Time Mismatch"

mobius32x
mobius32x
Community Member

Hello: I use an e-mail provider (not one of the big names) and have set up 2FA. This morning, I couldn't log in ... eventually, after restarting, it was working again. The e-mail provider stated:

We checked the account and looks like the issue you are experiencing is not related to the password itself, but to the two-factor authentication.
Most of the time, this occurs when there is a time mismatch between the device you use to log in to ____ and the device that provides your 2FA codes. Ensure that the time is exactly the same on the two devices and try to log in again.

My question is how would I ensure that the time mismatch is corrected? This is the first time I've had this issue, and have using this e-mail provider for about 20 months. Also, the 2FA is executed via 1P and not Authy or Google or similar.

Also, I sync through the 1Password.com site.

1Password Version: 7.5
Extension Version: 1.19.2
OS Version: OSX 10.13.6
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @mobius32x

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. I'd suggest checking https://time.is/ and making sure it reports the same time as your device that you're generating 2FA codes from. :) If it isn't, you can adjust your settings in  > System Preferences > Date & Time. I'd recommend enabling the "set date and time automatically" option.

Additionally, if you look at the Login item for your email in both the 1Password.com web app and 1Password for Mac, do they show the same code? Do you have any other devices you could check from as well?

Ben

• mobius32x
    mobius32x
    Community Member

Thanks, Ben. I checked the time and it seems "perfectly" synced with my computer.

The 2FA countdown seen in the extension and inside of 1P.com are synced, too.

When I had this problem, I was able to access the email via my phone, so I guess it was something w/the desktop.

Again, thanks.

• Thanks @mobius32x. If this happens again I'd suggest checking time.is at that point. It would be odd if your time is in sync and yet the codes are not accepted. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.